Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decals in Excel

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
aaron.seifert
964 Views, 8 Replies

Decals in Excel

I have all my pipe decals in excel per ANSI standards (see attached).  Do I realy have to create 64 separate files for each decal?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
blair
in reply to: aaron.seifert

In a short form "Yes" if you only want one line and the required direction. Perhaps a iLogic guru might be able to or possibly a factory part with a lookup table for process and direction.

How would they do it in real life, A decal for each process and a direction arrow that can be flipped, or Process and LH decal and Process and RH decal?

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 9

Hi aaron.seifert,

Are you wanting to use a screen capture of the excel file as a decal, or are you wanting to read in the text and emboss it into an extrude feature? Can you post the Excel file?

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 9

Hi Curtis,

I am looking to do the same.How could i do the "screen capture" and then use as a decal.Also can the decal be added to either the part or to a part in an assembly?

I made an example IV2013 pipe in which the long number in the excel 2010 sheet will run verticle on the pipe and also a square shaped number for placing in the middle of the pipe.The numbers are on a white background with a black border.How would i apply the numbers from the spreadsheet onto the parts as a DecaL

I have attached the IV2013 part and the Excel 2010 spreadsheet

Much appreciated

Dane

Message 5 of 9

Hi dane_m_steyne,

Here is a data set (2013 files) with an iLogic configured label. You can use the form to set the label text and the bend diameter (diameter of the pipe it will wrap to). To place it in an assembly, use the Place iLogic Component tool to place the file named LB-7832.ipt. This will generate a new file depending upon the selections you make.

You can look at the LB-7832.ipt file to see how it was created. If it's not clear just ask and I'll explain what is going on in the part.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 6 of 9

Message 7 of 9

Hi Curtis

That is exactly what i wanted.Thank you

I tried in the assembly and it is excellent.

I do have a further question please.

1. I am new to iLogic.Is it possible in the iLogic code to change the reference numbers from ABC-0001 / ABC-0100 to say BSC-001 / BSC--100 as an example ?

2. Where can i view the code.You have set this up brilliantly

3. Also can the diameter in the code be changed to other values ?

Are you a programmer or did you learn the iLogic feature by teaching yourself.I see you have a book out Inventor 2013....do you teach iLogic in this book?

Again thank you.Appreciated

Dane

Message 8 of 9

Hi dane_m_steyne,

1. I am new to iLogic.Is it possible in the iLogic code to change the reference numbers from ABC-0001 / ABC-0100 to say BSC-001 / BSC--100 as an example ?

You can change these as needed by going to the Manage tab > Parameters button and right-clicking on the  label text parameter and choosing Edit Multi Value List

2. Where can i view the code.

In this particular file there really isn't any programming code, all of the magic is handled by the iLogic tools, specifically the Forms tools. To access these tools you can go to the Manage tab > iLogic panel > Edit iLogic Tree button, and then you'll see a forms tab. Right click on the form and choose Edit Form (or something like that, I can't look at it just now).

3. Also can the diameter in the code be changed to other values?

You can change the diameters as needed by going to the Manage tab > Parameters button and right-clicking on the parameter and choosing Edit Multi Value List, just as you did the label text parameter.

4. Are you a programmer or did you learn the iLogic feature by teaching yourself.I see you have a book out Inventor 2013....do you teach iLogic in this book?

Indeed I'm self taught, and I think a real programmer would tell you that I'm a bit of a hack, and not a programmer Smiley Wink. I do cover the iLogic tools in the Mastering 2013 book, devoting the last chapter to iLogic. It covers the basics and goes maybe just a step or two deeper.

Another good resource to start off with iLogic are the Autodesk provided tutorials:

These tutorials are probably as good as any other way to become familiar with the basics of iLogic. Once you've done them you'll find the other resources (books, blog posts, etc.) easier to understand.

My suggestion is to start off simple working through the first two  tutorials and then take some time to try to automate simple tasks with your own part files that you already know how to do in Inventor. For instance, change a part size, change a part color, set a part number, change a description, etc. Then go back and do the 3rd tutorial that deals with assemblies.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 9 of 9

Hi Curtis

Thank you for all the help.I will use your tips

Best Regards

Dane

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report