Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DXF

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
satbir.sohal
888 Views, 15 Replies

DXF

Hello,

I made a cylinder which is in the attachment. When I flat pattern produce its dxf file, I am not able to get correct geometries. When I zoom into the dxf file, I see that the inner hexagon and circles project irregular shapes and are not concentric. 

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
mrattray
in reply to: satbir.sohal

The flat patern is corect, it's your folded model that's wrong. The way you cut those, well, cuts, is not perpendicular to the face. I suggest you remodel this using a contou flange, then the unfold feature. Make all of your cuts after the unfold feature, then follow it up with a refold. This will cause the edges of the cuts to stay perpendicula to the material and allow the expected flat pattern to be created.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 16
satbir.sohal
in reply to: mrattray

Thank you for the reply. I tried that before, but its a lengthy procedure and I had to manually calculate the circumference and pitch and then convert them into rectangular pattern. Is there no alternative option where I can get these done quickly ?

Message 4 of 16
mrattray

You could just enter a formula intot the rectangular pattern spacing instead of hand calculating it. This way it will be linked to the radius of the cylinder.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 16
jletcher

Can you post a pic of the part I cannot open your part I will not install 2013 again.

Message 6 of 16
mrattray
in reply to: jletcher

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 16
satbir.sohal
in reply to: mrattray

Hello,

Can you please make a similar cylinder using contour flange and send me the ipt file. as I am unable to get it.

Thanks

Message 8 of 16
BLHDrafting

Another option I regularily use is to create a solid of what I want (including the angled cut and the holes/projections) and use the Derive the Thicken method from the sheet metal file. Works great and gets all of the cuts perpendicular with the sheet metal face.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager/Owner

BLH Drafting Services
Web www.blh.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Inventor 2012 PDS Premium SP 2 and Vault 2012 Update 1

Please mark as Accepted As Solution or give Kudos.
Message 9 of 16
CAD-One

BLHDrafting- Sounds interesting. Can you eloborate " derive the thicken method"
C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 10 of 16
BLHDrafting

No problems.

Here is a link to a short video of using the Derive and Thicken method. You basically make a positive (or negative) and import this shape as surfaces, then thicken the surfaces you want. Any protrusions you have in the solid can also be included in this method. Good luck.

http://screencast.com/t/VLBL762Cnck

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager/Owner

BLH Drafting Services
Web www.blh.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Inventor 2012 PDS Premium SP 2 and Vault 2012 Update 1

Please mark as Accepted As Solution or give Kudos.
Message 11 of 16
CAD-One
in reply to: BLHDrafting

Great input !
Thanks for sharing.
C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 12 of 16
satbir.sohal

Please find the attached file, 'dxf text.ipt'. I tried using derived and thicken option, but I got problems with flat pattern and cuts.

Message 13 of 16

There is a file test.ipt missing from this.

Capture.JPG

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 14 of 16
satbir.sohal

Hello,

Please find the attached file 'test sample.ipt'

Thank you

Message 15 of 16
BLHDrafting
in reply to: CAD-One

Gday.

Attached is a zip file of a dataset I created. Have a look at TEST_PART_SOLID.ipt first to see how I created the negative of the shape I wanted (you could use a positive also-depends on your needs). Then look at TEST_PART.ipt to see how I used the DERIVE and then THICKEN tools to create the sheetmetal part. You will need to review the earlier video about derive and thicken. I don't know why you are having trouble. I see that the Cut1 produced dodgy flat pattern results. This is why you should either

1. Create a solid template (solid could be extruded surface or solid) or
  2. Use Flat Pattern tools.

Best of luck.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 16 of 16
satbir.sohal

Thank you Brendan. I have now understood the concept. The geometry is now perpendicular to the sheet. Unfortunately, my CAM software (RADAN), still does not auto tool the produced geometry. The circle and hex do not produce a smooth curve or lines. I might need to ask CAM guys for support.

Thank you for your assistance.

Satbir Sohal

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report