Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DXF file creation

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
rgraham817
519 Views, 6 Replies

DXF file creation

Hi Everyone

I have a 32 page Inventor DWG file I am trying to convert to a DXF file. Unfortunately when I do a save copy as DXF,

I get 32 individual DXF files. I would like one file with 32 different pages just like it was made in Inventor or just like it is done in Autocad where you have one drawing with the tabs at the bottom.  Is this possible to accomplish in Inventor?

Thanks

Randy

Inventor 2013

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: rgraham817

i think you may need to consolidate the files afterwards if you want it all in one dxf.

heres a thought, 'maybe you could try to create an inventor dwg from your idw, then save that as a dxf? don't know, have not tried that.

good luck.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 3 of 7
rgraham817
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

Mark

Thanks for the suggestion but that is what I did. I have this 32 page dwg drawing (not an idw) from Inventor.  I then exported it to create a DXF file. Unfortunately it gives me 32 drawings, one for each sheet.  The best I can do to get them on one document is in Autocad I can go thru this convuluted procedure that I can lay these documents side by side on sheet one.

Unfortunately it takes 15 steps per drawing to add each one to sheet one. Oh well. Thanks a million for your input.

Very respectfully

Randy

Message 4 of 7
ampster402

I think Mark meant that you would save the multiple page idw to dwg from within Inventor, then open the dwg up in AutoCAD and saved out to dxf.

That would save alot of your time if you haven't tried that yet.

Message 5 of 7
drguitarum2005
in reply to: ampster402

Bringing this back up as I have the same problem. Doing what the last poster suggested results in all the geometry being in paper space instead of model space. Our CNC guys need everything in model space so they can add/delete geometry then export themselves as DXF. Right now I have to copy and paste geometry from 30 different DXF/AutoCAD DWG files into one. Takes tons of time.

Message 6 of 7
ampster402
in reply to: drguitarum2005

in Acad, does the Express tools command "layoutmerge" help in moving from paperspace to modelspace?

Message 7 of 7
Mark_Wigan

that express tool works well.

ps- on a slight topic of interest: depending on what kind of products and how you are detailing them, you still need to look after your NC guys and make sure they do not get different material thicknesses mixed together in the one file, thinking that they are ready to nest.

ideally, & if at all possible i would leave 100% of the nc work to the nc dept that is including the exporting of dxf files from engineering drawings.

as soon as the draftees and engineers start to export dxf for downstream dept's, no single person will take resposibility for the finished product.

if you still must do the exporting for the nc guys, then we have found the best way is to just forget the engineering detail drawing being exported out to dxf, and instead simply right click on the model in sheet metal environments' flat pattern browser icon, exporting to dxf there, using a predefined dxf config file. it always

-ensures that the dxf is 1:1

-is easy to define layers, ready for nc dept to easily turn on or off etc

-is very fast

-means that the nc dept still needs to read the pdf file which explains material requirements (pdf is a master copy of the engineering detail drawing).

-it really depends on the business operations & downstream needs. some clients i export the dxf file into a sub folder that is labelled for various material thickness and grades and finishes. if you want you can then put them all into one file with total sufficient quantities of each part, ensure the handing is correct, ensure paper side is up etc etc. that way the nc guys have had half the work done for them already.

usually though when i do that up front work it is for clients that have no nc dept. i know in advance that they will be sending the dxf files directly off to a laser cutter business who again will not want to count everything up and do the background workk that a real nc dept should be doing. this up front work just saves me time explaining things to the client or laser cutting business afterwards.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report