Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
414 Views, 5 Replies

DWG

HELLO:

Is there a way to keep the drawing view the same and make changes in the assembley with out it always changing in your drawing view??

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
harco
in reply to: Anonymous

Design view reps & Positional reps

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: harco

How would i get to design view reps & Positional reps?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Hi, there!

First, let me make a disclaimer that I've only scratched the surface of View Representations and Level of Detail, if that.

Secondly, yes, this seems to be exactly what you need to learn to achieve what you're looking for. In this thread...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Level-of-detail-can-t-save-my-assembly/td-p/2746503

...you'll find several links to detailed, in-depth explanations and tutorials on how to use both View Representations and Level of Detail.

Essentially, suppose I have an assembly with 10 parts, but I have the need to produce a drawing that omits one of them. To do that, I create a new representation, give it a name, and then go to the part I don't want to show in my drawing. I can turn its visibility off, and save the assembly. You'll notice that, if you activate (double-click) the "Default", or the "Master" representation, your part (the one you just hid while you were on the new representation) will become visible.

Now, onto the drawing (idw). When you create the view, you'll see choices for Representation, with a list of all the representations you have in your assembly file. You can choose here the representation you want for your drawing, and your view(s) will reflect that state, without affecting your assembly.

I hope this helps

Mauricio

PS...I miss the old days when people would cheerfuly share their knowledge in this forum, rather than just giving one-line hints and chastising people for lack of training - Not shooting at you, harco. Sometimes I get the feeling that some people actually get upset when "answering" questions... just saying...

Message 5 of 6
harco

Hi Mauricio

Fair point, my answer didn't totally solve the problem but it was only meant as a shove in the right direction as no-one else was answering.

It was first thing in the morning and just banged off a quick reply at breakfast.

I prefer to answer questions with no response, at least it gives the poster a sense that someone is listening to them.

I am happy to answer if I think I can help, I wouldn't even bother clicking reply otherwise.

Most of what I learned was the hard way, I had 2 days basic Inventor training, did all the tutorials, read the help files, search the newsgroup, the rest came from practice,mistakes and experience,still a lot to learn too. I get paid to use this software and I believe I should justify my pay by being capable of using it. Some believe they should be paid to learn how to use it then be paid more when they can use because they are now trained, seems a bit cart before horse to me!

I wouldn't chastise people for lack of purchased training, I'm tight myself and don't part with a penny if I can help it, but a lack of effort to teach yourself with freely available resources is a different thing.

So it can get frustrating if people just ask someone else rather than hit F1.

And as you say yourself  "...this seems to be exactly what you need to learn to achieve..."

These are basic functions of Inventor albeit possibly second stage.

Positional -search

I think most experienced users here like the challenge of trying to solve someone's sticking point or sharing tips and tricks for an easier life, it's not completely altruistic answering questions here, respondents want the satisfaction of having helped someone not the labour of doing the posters work for them, some even complain that they are never thanked. I am not one of those, the fact that my response looks to answer the question gives me the belief I have helped.

A big annoyance of the old boys is the repetitive asking of the same question, sometimes even within days of each other, e.g.. How do you save as older version?, this is a particular favourite.

Before anyone asks, you can't, in the sense that the question is asked.

Anyway it's good to see you are jumping in and helping too though, new blood and all that.

All the best.

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: harco

I would just want to point out that I had specified that I wasn't shooting at you. I think I might have been a bit too quick to vent. I also think that your post is very clear, very valid, and you go out of your way to present an opposite (and valid) view of my complaint.

I believe you are right, although it is so nice when someone answers a question with a good explanation. Not saying that it doesn't happen nowadays, it just seems to me that lately, more and more, the replies are short hints that seem -at times- designed only to show that the replier has a vast IV knowledge.

I wish I knew more about IV to be able to help more...

Again, point(s) well taken Smiley Wink

Mauricio

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report