Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOF of a fully constrained woodruff key

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
lis_wang
496 Views, 4 Replies

DOF of a fully constrained woodruff key

After I fully constrained the woodruff key on the shaft and shaft was also fully constrained, why the woodruff key still has 5 DOF? Please see the attached file here. Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
lis_wang
in reply to: lis_wang

Sorry forgot to attach the file in my last message. So post again

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: lis_wang

Same here, but if you change the tangent constraint on the key to mate, it goes away.

Message 4 of 5
BLHDrafting
in reply to: Anonymous

It is often dificult (a.k.a.) impossible to know why but sometimes you just gotta trust that the software knows best 🙂

I find the tip near the bottom of this webpage http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2012/Help/0073-Autodesk73/0460-Assembli460/0461-Build_as46... really useful when trying to nail down DOF issues.

P.S. This note from the same wiki page can also be useful.

If the selected component is constrained relative to an underconstrained part, a cube appears on the degrees-of-freedom symbol. To highlight the relative part, hold the cursor over the cube until it changes color. The faces of adaptive parts which have degrees of freedom remaining are displayed in a contrasting color when you hold the cursor over the cube.

While these tips may not track down your exact problem they might help. Best of luck.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 5 of 5
lis_wang
in reply to: BLHDrafting

Thank you very much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report