Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting (derive) Sheet Metal Object

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
mattpurbrick
1102 Views, 3 Replies

Cutting (derive) Sheet Metal Object

Hi guys,

I've searched various forums and tried to find an answer to this problem I've been having, apologises if it's an easy answer/ already been answered.

I'm working on a bracket within Inventor, in order to get the head of the bracket correct (so that it will fit into a bar) I want to derive the bar and use it to cut the slots needed.

Although I have had some problems with this due to the bracket being sheet metal for bend radius reasons.

I wonder if any of the Inventor pro's aroudn here could assist me in this?

Many Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
CCarreiras
in reply to: mattpurbrick

Hi!

The question is that you can´t have multi solids in sheet metal. You can derive the bar in surfaces mode.

Also, you can always jump between sheet metal and the solid part ( e.g..  to use combine tools, etc)

You can post the file, we give you some help.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
mattpurbrick
in reply to: CCarreiras

Thank you for your quick reply, very helpful, I eventually managed to do what you suggested.

The inventor way of working strikes again!

Message 4 of 4
CCarreiras
in reply to: mattpurbrick

HI!

Thats not big deal. You can do almost all the work in solid when you'll need to flat, convert in sheet metal.

Workaround: You can mount the bracket and bar in one assembly, and there,

Edit the bracket

Copy the cilindrical surface of the bar

Trim solid the bracket using that imported/copy surface as a boundary.

I use this a lot.

Tip: always copy the surface as surface, not composite, and enable the "associative"... later if the bar change, the bracket will change accordingly. Be sure the bracket is adaptative.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report