Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customizing Inventor...

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
mistle60
406 Views, 7 Replies

Customizing Inventor...

Have 2 simple questions for any experienced user (which is not me).

I'm assuming the answer is yes.

Q1:  Is Inventor as customizable as AutoCAD 2D packages? e.g. Lisp and C programming to automate features.

Q2:  Does Inventor come with support files to automate? e.g. modify existing support files to customize for my needs.

Issue scenario:

(Creating 2D AutoCAD drawings from 3D models and capturing model data e.g. part name, filename, multiple part data [for assemblies, etc])

I want to insert a standard title block complete with revision column and attributed fields etc.  This is only with respect to the 1st sheet.  Subsequent sheets require an abbreviated (much smaller with only the drawing number and 'sheet of' sequence).

So whatever the approach used, it must be open to multiple sheet creation with 2 standard title blocks; one for sheet 1 and the other for all other sheets.

Suggestions or recommendations anyone?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
jletcher
in reply to: mistle60

Q1: no lisp but VBA and ilogic or C++ or VB ( so yes there is ways)

Q2: Yes and no depends on what you want.  But with ilogic it is very easy to make whatever you need.

Do you have Inventor or looking into getting?

Inventor is a very powerful tool as long as you learn it and set it up right..

Message 3 of 8
mistle60
in reply to: jletcher

Hello and thanks jletcher.

We have Inventor and also UG.  We utilize AutoCAD Mechanical as well but mor efor 2D activities.

My prior knowledge consists of AutoCAD 2D from pre Release 2.19 (1985) to R14, including Lisp programming and customizing.

I moved into ProE in the mid 90's but have been out of the CAD industry for the several years preceding 2006.

Our current system utilizes Inventor's capabilities when creating a 2D file by inserting a standard TB and filling in attributed data from the model.  From what I understand, this automation inserts the same title block for every new drawing occurance.

I am in the process of defining cost savings by eliminating the overhead & management of TB on every sheet.  To do this means I need to be able to insert 2 different border/title blocks.

Not having the current level knowledge and even less with Inventor, I need to be able to communicate effectively whether or not this is acheivable as well be able to perform cost evaluations for customizing etc. versus time savings per sheet.

It sounds like yes, the open architecture allows for this kind of automation and for your support, I thank you sincerely.

Regards,

Mistle60

Message 4 of 8

Hi Mistle60,

You can do it programaticaly, but it sounds like the functionality your're after is actualy just part of Inventor's standard tools. Inventor's 2D drawings read in the properties from the 3D models and display them in the title block. You can set your 2D drawings up to automaticaly include 2 sheets, each with a different title block, or you can just add another sheet with a single click, and then place or replace the title block with just a few more clicks.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 8
JDMather

Experiment with the Drawing Resources folder in the drawing file and with Sketched Symbols.

You should be able to create Template(s) with considerable customization/automation.

edit

Tip: as you do this experimentation - right click everything.

Drawing Resources.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 8

Thanks Curtis.  Appreciate your expertise and inputs.

Regards,

Mistle60

Message 7 of 8
mistle60
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks JDMather.

I am armed with the knowledge necessary to proceed.

Really appreciate your inputs and knowledge.

Thanks again to everyone who submitted support.

Kind regards,

Mistle60

Message 8 of 8
JDMather

Spend some time on this.

I actually recommend that companies hire a consultant to set up there drawing resources, not because it is particularly difficult, but becuase beginners don't have a full understanding of what can actually be done.  This is one of those things you want to set up right in the beginning (set it and forget it) and closely ties into company standards.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report