Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom alignment direction for Aligned Dimensions

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
johnstda
695 Views, 2 Replies

Custom alignment direction for Aligned Dimensions

Sometimes when I dimension between 2 points, I don't always want to use the default direction that the Alignment dimension type provides (i.e. the line connecting to the 2 points). A somewhat useful option is to select the the line / direction that the dimension is applied in, which may be entirely separate from the 2 points.

It's hard to explain, so I've attached 2 pictures of what I'm trying to express. "Not quite", is the default alignment direction, which although correct, is not always appropriate. In the 2nd picture, I've annotated the dimension between the 2 points in a direction parallel to the blue line. This is required to calculate the length of timber I need to start with before I start cutting the angles on the top and bottom (i.e. the timber runs along the blue line axis).

So maybe a 4th option could be "Custom Aligned", whereby the user selects a line on the drawing which determines the alignment direction.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
rhasell
in reply to: johnstda

Hi

The only way is to create a sketch on the view.

Project the line you wish to dimension to (The blue line you used), and draw a perpendicular line at the point, make it 0.1mm long.

You can then use this line to dimension to.

If required, after placing the dimension, edit the sketch and hide the line.

See red line on the sketch.

Hope my simple explanation makes sense.

custom align dim.JPG

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 3 of 3
johnstda
in reply to: rhasell

Another way I've worked out is to use a custom view whereby the leg is
aligned vertically. Then the dimension taken is the one I want.

David

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report