Valued Mentor
GSE_Dan_A
Message 1 of 14 (341 Views)
Accepted Solution

Custom Shapes for Content Center

341 Views, 13 Replies
11-25-2013 08:09 AM

Good morning Inventorees,

The time has finally arrived; the current content center profiles no longer suit my needs (for this specific project) and I now must create an extrusion that consists of holes.  This profile is to be used in the Frame Generator and Frame analysis so it is imperative that I get the holes into the custom extrusion (see attached picture for the extrusion I require - it is a column extrusion for Pallet Racks.  I have never entered the realm of custom content center extrusions so I am as they say a "Noob".  Can anyone give me an idea of what I need to do as far as what values I will require for the Analysis part (Inertias, Areas, etc...) and what proces I will take in order to first set up my extrusion to use?  As mentioned, the holes in the extrusion are vital as they occue frequently (every 3 inches) and will affect the results in my analysis. I am currently in the process of reading up on Custom Content Center Publishing, but I figure it is best to ask the Community for their advice.  Using Inventor 2014 Professional.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Post.jpg

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Valued Mentor
GSE_Dan_A
Message 2 of 14 (331 Views)

Re: Custom Shapes for Content Center

11-25-2013 09:21 AM in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

Ok so I have a Custom Content Center Setup, I have my part Published and I can even place it into the Frame Skeleton I have created.  However, the holes, fillets (all features) do not show up when I place the member on my skeleton.  Can anyone advise how to keep the features on my part when I publish to my CC?

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Valued Mentor
GSE_Dan_A
Message 3 of 14 (320 Views)

11-25-2013 10:33 AM in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

Can't seem to get the features (holes, fillets, etc..) to repeat over the length of the member.  For example if the member is 144 inches long, how do I get the holes and extrusions to cover the 144" at 3" c/c spacing? Can anyone attach a part that exhibits this behaviour?

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Valued Mentor
mpatchus
Message 4 of 14 (315 Views)

11-25-2013 10:50 AM in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

You'll have to do the holes as a pattern.

For the number of holes, create a parameter with a formula that calculates the length divided by the spacing.

Thus, when the length changes, the number occurances will adjust accordingly.

Mike Patchus

Inventor 2012 SP3 ~ Vault Pro 2013
==================
Lenovo D20 Workstation Intel Xenon E5640@2.67GHz (2)
Win 7, 24gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. :smileyhappy:
*Expert Elite*
cwhetten
Message 5 of 14 (311 Views)

11-25-2013 11:08 AM in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

Attached is a piece of unistrut that I modeled & authored for use in frame generator.  I didn't set up any of the parameters needed for frame analysis, but it is an otherwise good example of a part (an iPart, actually) that is set up with a pattern of holes.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Valued Mentor
GSE_Dan_A
Message 6 of 14 (304 Views)

11-25-2013 11:55 AM in reply to: cwhetten

Thank you both for your response.  cwhetten - how is the Driven Length feature created in your part? I notive it exists in CC parts as well. 

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
*Expert Elite*
cwhetten
Message 7 of 14 (294 Views)

11-25-2013 12:58 PM in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

The driven length feature should be automatically created by the authoring process.  Here is a simple step-by-step for how to create a basic structural shape:

1. Start a new part.

2. Create your profile sketch.

3. Extrude your profile sketch.  Set the extents to "Distance" and give it a value (doesn't matter what this initial extrude distance is, it will be deleted by the authoring process--you just need to have an extrusion to start the authoring).

4. Create a user parameter that will be mapped to the Base Length.  I use PL, since that seems to be the convention for other CC parts.  The initial value of this parameter doesn't matter, but it should be big enough to see any patterns in your part (hole patterns, for instance).

5. Author the part (see image below)

CC Structural Shape Authoring.png

Don't forget to go to the Parameter Mapping tab and map any of the parameters that show up in yellow (yellow ones are required).

The authoring process should create two work planes (Start Plane & End Plane), will rename your extrusion to Body, and will create the Driven Length feature.

Once the part has been authored, you can publish it to the content center.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Valued Mentor
GSE_Dan_A
Message 8 of 14 (292 Views)

11-25-2013 01:07 PM in reply to: cwhetten

Many thanks for your help! One last issue I am experiencing is when I got to place my part into an assembly, I can not for the life of me figure out how to manually type in a length.  For example when I place a CC part, I am able to input a specidied member length.  When I attempt to place mine into an assembly, it defaults to my set B_L (3 inches) and I can not edit it unless I go into the part.

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
*Expert Elite*
cwhetten
Message 9 of 14 (286 Views)

11-25-2013 01:13 PM in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

Are you publishing this as a content center part, or just placing it like an ordinary part?

Also, did you create it as an iPart?

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Valued Mentor
GSE_Dan_A
Message 10 of 14 (283 Views)

11-25-2013 01:22 PM in reply to: cwhetten

I published this as both a CC part (to use in future Assemblies) and as a Structural Shape (to use in Frame Generator).  Currently this is not an i-part, but I may change this depending on how often I require this shape (or something similar). For now I just need to wrap my head around Custom shapes and the workflow.  Performing FEAs on parts with many holes causes slow results and often they are misleading due to corners, contacts etc... so the frame analysis will make things much much faster and easier.

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube