Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Properties in Dimension Text

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
GCvanLan
1637 Views, 4 Replies

Custom Properties in Dimension Text

How do I insert custom properties into Dimension Text?  I've got a side view of a modified disc that I need to show a diameter dimension on.  Unfortunately, the disc has cutouts along the edges that prevent a side-view dimension from displaying the full diameter of the piece, and I can't use a top view on this drawing.  I'm currently overriding the dimension value, and inserting a parameter that gives the true dimension, but it won't show up in the proper format.  I've created a custom iProperty that gives the dimension in the proper format (X'-X X/X"), but the "Type" section of the dimension Text editing is greyed out.  Is there a way to enable that field in a dimension?

I'm using Inventor 2011 SP1

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
hoser_71
in reply to: GCvanLan

Here's a work-around you could use.

Make sure that you have exported the parameter as a custom iProperty and you have formatted the parameter.

In the drawing create a sketched symbol.

Place a text field.

In the Text dialog, place the custom iproperty from the model.

Save and exit the sketched symbol.

Start the User Symbol tool.

Select the new symbol.

Make sure that the Leader and Symbol Clipping toggles are checked, but the visable toggle is unchecked.

You should be able to select the dimension text to snap to.  Make sure you right click and select Continue to place the symbol. 

If done right the symbol will update and move with the dimension.

Joe Bartels

Message 3 of 5
GCvanLan
in reply to: hoser_71

That sounds like it should work.  I'm still getting an empty text box though.  My custom iProperty (and Parameter) is called ImpDia.  The model parameters dialog shows a value of 126 in.  I marked export, right click-> Custom Property Format to text, feet, fractional, 1/8 precision.

Creating the symbol in the drawing, everything seemed to go smoothly.  I inserted the custom parameter from the type fields, pressed the insert button, and got a grey box with <ImpDia> in it.

But when I placed the symbol, all I got was an empty text box.  Placing a regular text box with the custom property inserted givce me: 10'-6".  but, of course, the regular text box is not attached to the dimension.

CustomiProp1.JPG

I tried with a Leader Text (with leader color set to white to make it invisible), by the Type drop down menu doesn't have Custom Properties - Model as an option.

Am I missing a step here?

When I right click on the placed symbol, and "Edit Symbol", if I toggle the "visible" box, the correct format shows up, but when I hit OK, it vanishes again.

CustomiPropMenu1.JPG

Thanks for your help!

Message 4 of 5
mflayler2
in reply to: GCvanLan

Why can't you get the Diametrical dimension?

See if the tip near the end of my video can help you with that.

http://vimeo.com/8910999

Otherwise you could use Custom Formatting on your Parameters and with them exported they will show up in the correct format.  See the attached for more detail.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 5 of 5
GCvanLan
in reply to: mflayler2

I can't pull a diameter dimension because it's not a circle.  To see why, draw a 60/60/60 triangle.  There's no dimension you can pull that will give you the diameter of the circle you can inscribe the triangle in.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report