Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Profile Notch in Frame Generator

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
kegle
1565 Views, 5 Replies

Custom Profile Notch in Frame Generator

I created a custom profile, IS34, and published it successfully as a structural shape for the frame gererator.  My problem is I get an error when I try to use the notch command in frame generator between two of these frame members.  I have tried creating a custom notch in the profile definition, but this did not work either.  I expected one profile to counter-profile the other.

IS34.png

IS34 Profile

IS34 Frame.png

IS34 Frame

IS34 Error.png

Error

I am using Inventor 2013.

Thanks,

Kevin

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
BarryZA
in reply to: kegle

I have published quite a few profiles without problems, but I haven't had a table or sketch block in the part.

You probably know more about this than me, but are these 2 features part of your extrusion, or something you did afterwads?

Anyway, I took your original sketch and added it as a frame member and it worked perfectly without any table/block.

profile.png

(INV 2013)

Message 3 of 6
kegle
in reply to: BarryZA

Thank you for the quick reply.  I am now able to get it to notch properly.  I started with a new part file and drew the profile from scratch.  I also put the iPart table and endwork extrusions back in and it still works.  I am not sure why my original part file did not work.  The only thing I can think of is that my sketch used a sketch block.

Maybe this should be on a different post, but the other problem I have using frame generator is that if I try to republish a custom profile it tells me that a profile already exists with that name.  So I need to first delete the profile from Content Center and then publish it again, but then all my existing assemblies using the profile lose the link.  Is there a way to republish without first deleting it?

Thanks,

Kevin

Message 4 of 6
BarryZA

I can't quite work out why you are using notch and not trim/trim to frame. And using any of these features in combination with the iPart seems to me to be doing the same thing twice. Are you wanting to show the frame in both states?

Message 5 of 6
kegle
in reply to: BarryZA

If I use the Trim to Frame option is does not counter-profile over the other member--see below.  That's why I think I need to use the notch command, unless I am missing something.  I am using a iPart because I want to save the profile in the machined and unmachined state.  The unmachined state is what I am using in Frame Generator.  The machined state is what I am using in a machining drawing.

Did you have any thoughts on the republishing question?

Thanks again,

Kevin

IS34 Trim to Frame.png

Message 6 of 6
BarryZA

Ah-ha, now that you mention it, I have come across that trim limitation with FG as well. Maybe someone more experienced can jump in and enlighten us, there are people here who specialize in cabinet making (nudge nudge Smiley Happy)

As for the publish, I'm not sure, but to think out loud:

Once you build an assembly with FG, the frame members are saved into their own folder in the active project. So presumably no longer linked to the content centre. I wonder what would happen if you started a new project, and pointed it to a new custom content centre file?

library.png

However, once you generate a frame, if it no longer maintains a link to the content centre, it won't update so you would have to re-draw anyway.

If you are doing a lot of this, and it all consists of a rectangular frame with varying dimensions, couldn't you just set up a multi-body part with user parameters to control your lengths? check out this tutorial anyway, this guy is a pro:http://opendesignproject.org/2009/12/07/autodesk-inventor-modeling-tutorials/. I think I did the idoor tut.

And forget about FG? Sorry for the proverbial spanner.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report