Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curved top on an elliptical solid

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
whg2n
839 Views, 5 Replies

Curved top on an elliptical solid

I'm trying to create a curved cap (see arrows in figure) on pillar with an elliptical rather than a round profile, as in these hand drawn projections. photo.JPG.jpeg If this pillar were round, a simple revolution would make the entire thing. How does one create such a feature when the major and minor axes are not equal?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
sam_m
in reply to: whg2n

Welcome to the forum!

There are a few ways to skin this cat, but the easiest is probably "loft to a point".

Create a work point at the crest of the dome

loft from the eliptical end to the work point

go into the 2nd tab on the loft dialog (marked "conditions") and make the point tangential or smooth (and play with the weight setting to adjust the shape of the dome)

If it's confusing then post the file of what you have so far (and state which Inventor release you're on)

I hope that helps

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 3 of 6
JDMather

Another easy way besides Loft is with a Boundary Patch.

Attach your file here and someone will post examples of each technique.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
IgorMir

Based on the picture and description you have provided I can offer that solution. Please see the attached.

Regards,

Igor.

@whg2n wrote:

I'm trying to create a curved cap (see arrows in figure) on pillar with an elliptical rather than a round profile, as in these hand drawn projections. photo.JPG.jpeg If this pillar were round, a simple revolution would make the entire thing. How does one create such a feature when the major and minor axes are not equal?

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 5 of 6
whg2n
in reply to: IgorMir

Thanks, Igor, but that approach only works if the desired height of the cap is the same as the minor axis of the base. "Loft to point," the first solution offered, is much more general.
Message 6 of 6
IgorMir

Yes, it is.

Cheers,

Igor.

@whg2n wrote:
Thanks, Igor, but that approach only works if the desired height of the cap is the same as the minor axis of the base. "Loft to point," the first solution offered, is much more general.

Web: www.meqc.com.au

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report