Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cross Section Analysis- Dynamic Drag?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
bcrowell
517 Views, 2 Replies

Cross Section Analysis- Dynamic Drag?

I am trying to find the interior volume of an assembly (when am I not?!?!) by subtracting the assembly from a block that surrounds the most of it.  Somewhere the assembly has a "leak" and I have been trying to use the Cross Section Analysis to track down where the inside lump is connected to the outside lump to be subtracted.  Is there a less time consuming way to dynamically drag a plane across and get cross sectional views?

Even better is there a simple way to animate the analysis plane moving across the block so I can hopefully just watch and pause it when I find a leak?

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
SBix26
in reply to: bcrowell

The old way of doing this might work for you: instead of moving the analysis plane, choose a fixed plane, such as one of the origin planes, and move the assembly.  Unground your assembly, and constrain it so that it has only one degree of motion, in the direction you want.  Then you can drag it back and forth through the section plane.  You could also set up a constraint that can be driven to animate the dynamic section.

Message 3 of 3
bcrowell
in reply to: SBix26

That should work- I thought you could do this more easily in previous versions.  I'm not too terribly familiar with the animating but in this case I think I really need to use it.  It becomes rather tedious trying to find the connection having to travel through ten feet of slices a couple of mm at a time!

INV Professional 2017 (Build: 142, Release: 2017RTM), Windows 10 Professional (64-bit), Intel Xeon E5-1620 3.5GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, Vault Basic 2017

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report