Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a punch using text

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
greglucas9037
1240 Views, 4 Replies

Creating a punch using text

I have been given the task of figuring out a way to have etching placed on our parts to show the part number of the part. The end goal is to get the parts laser cut but have the part number etched into the part.Is there a way to convert text (i.e. 12345) to a sketched symbol that the punch feature would recognize and then add it to the library? Right now we are using 2012 but will be upgraded to 2014 within the next 6 months.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blair
in reply to: greglucas9037

I would look at a iFeature using emboss/cut. The laser will etch/remove material much as the emboss-cut does.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 5
BLHDrafting
in reply to: blair

Scott Moyse of Design & Motion has a blog here and mentions the problem with using Embossed/Cut text.

Snippet from that blog :-

"To clarify the engraving text issue. In both situations above you could emboss the text and have it exported with the face or sketch. However, this results in a text outline instead of a text centre line. As you know this is very inefficient for CNC machines to cut when the number is only there for practical rather than aesthetic reasons." 

There is an add-in on the Exchange store here that can add custom text to the DXF output.

Brendan Henderson

Web www.blhdrafting.com.au
Twitter @BLHDrafting

Windows 7 x64 -64 GB Ram, Intel Xeon E5-1620 @ 3.6 GHz
ATI FirePro V7800 2 GB, 180 GB SSD & 1 TB HDD, Inv R2016 PDSU SP1 (Build 210), Vault 2016 Professional Update 1 (Build 21.1.4.0)
Message 4 of 5
blair
in reply to: BLHDrafting

Yes, this would depend on the software used to laser etch the part. Newer software will handle this type of profile much better.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 5
LT.Rusty
in reply to: greglucas9037

@greglucas9037 wrote:

I have been given the task of figuring out a way to have etching placed on our parts to show the part number of the part. The end goal is to get the parts laser cut but have the part number etched into the part.Is there a way to convert text (i.e. 12345) to a sketched symbol that the punch feature would recognize and then add it to the library? Right now we are using 2012 but will be upgraded to 2014 within the next 6 months.

Inventor doesn't really like to use text for a lot of things other than simple extrude or emboss features, and it doesn't always even do that with every font.

There is a trick that I've done in the past, and I suspect you might find it applicable here.  Create a new .IPT file and make an extrusion featuring just the text that you want.  Create a new sketch on top of it and project cut edges.  There are times - and this may be one of them, I'm not sure as I haven't created a punch - that you can't make use of projected geometry for some stuff.  At this point, I copy the projected geometry, and then paste it into a new sketch.  From there I can rotate / scale / move to whatever orientation I need it.  This might be a good foundation for you to make text-based punches.

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report