Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a pattern of a single occurence of a pattern

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
rajshyani
310 Views, 10 Replies

Creating a pattern of a single occurence of a pattern

How can I make a circular pattern of a single occurence of a rectangular pattern?

A shaft has a rectangular pattern of holes (along its axis) on its surface. I want to pattern the 4th occurence of this hole pattern as a circular pattern? Can I do it in Autodesk. I can not select the a specific occurance of a patterned feature to pattern it again.

Thank you,

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: rajshyani

How many holes total will be the result?

The only way I can think of to do it is with one Rectangular Pattern (curve driven) and suppress the unneeded instances of the feature.

Can you attach the file here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
rajshyani

Thank you for the quick reply.

Well, the shaft is 6" dia. with the holes patterned on a 120" length. I have two patterns of hole that run 180 deg to each other in a helical path. I want to circular pattern say Nth occurance of the helical pattern I made for the hole. Please look at the attached file. I want to circular pattern the hole at "Workplane20". If I can do that I want to do that for couple of more occurences.

Message 4 of 11
JDMather

What is the tap drill size for a 5/8-18 thread?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
rajshyani
in reply to: JDMather

Tap Drill size is 37/64. But I just created holes of 5/8" dia and made threads in the holes. I am not concerned about the hole/drill size right now. I just want to position/ orient the holes in correct position.

Thank you,

Message 6 of 11
JDMather

I would use the Countersink hole command to get the chamfer, thread, hole and 118° bottom of the hole correct.

Actually easier to do it correctly than to do it incorrectly.

I think you are doing more work than needed to get the desired geometry.
I will try to post an example of how I would do the part.  ( I would not use 3D sketch as it is not adaptive to changes.)

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
rajshyani
in reply to: JDMather

But how would I would I do a helical pattern as I did in my case.

Also, do you find a method to make a pattern of a occurence of a pattern? I am more interested in that, as it seems more difficult if I would do it individually.

Message 8 of 11
rajshyani

Also, I dont know how to create a hole on the curved surface. It is really easy if I have a plane surface.

I really appreciate your help if you post an example to do this kind of pattern.

Thank you,

Message 9 of 11
JDMather

I'll get back to you tomorrow with solutions to all the questions.

Helical surface (Coil Feature) is parametric

Workplane perpendicular to start of helix and tangent to cylinder gives plane to create hole.

Last one is a bit more work but I think I can get it.

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
JDMather

Did you get this figured out?
When a solution isn't found you need to push the topic back to the top so that it gets attention.

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
rajshyani

No I havent got any solution to this problem. As of now, I just created a separate hole at the same occurence location where I wanted the circular pattern. I didnt have time to wait till somebody respond, so I just took a long path to model the holes. I have released the drawings to the production. But surely, I want to know the solution if it exists.

I really appreciate your attention to my problem and I do appreciate your suggestion about making a coil instead helical for creating a helical patterned holes. I will try that out for my next part that we will have made.

Thank you,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report