Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a flat pattern from a rolled object

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
GavinReynolds2021
698 Views, 4 Replies

Creating a flat pattern from a rolled object

Hello, Sorry to ask what is probably a daft question but I am having trouble creating a flat pattern from a rolled part. I know I have done this in the past but for the life of me I cant think what I am missing. I am basically using the sheet metal function to print a 1:1 paper template to wrap around a 10" pipe to cut the correct shape to weld the pipe to an unusual object. I have done this in the past joining large pipes at non standard angles. In this case I have to match the 10 inch pipe to the top of a hemisphere at right angles. I drew the pipe, hollowed it. Drew a quadrant of the hemisphere and rotated it as a cut to removed the shape in the 10 in pipe. I created a cut line in the resultant shaped pipe. I have checked my material thickness matches the sheet metal rules yet I still get a message telling me to check that. I dont work with sheet metal functions very often. If someone can point out my mistake I would appreciate it. File is attached. Thank you Gavin
Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Perhaps like this? Last thicken feature is providing rectangular edges of flat pattern.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: GavinReynolds2021

Hi GavinReynolds2012,

There will be a number of way to make the paper wrap around, hopefully this might

be of help. I don't know your shape requirements as i could not see your attached file.

Cheers

Mark

Inventor 2014

Capture-01.JPG

Message 4 of 5

Hi Walter,

Thank you for your help. This is a different method than I have used in the past but I was able to modify it to achieve what I needed to do. I have attached the file below. I think you misunderstood my description of the intersection with the hemisphere so I just wanted to show you what I did.

I appreciate the help

Regards

Gavin

Message 5 of 5

Thanks, Gavin. Now I understand better.

Additional note: For obtaining perpendicular edges in the flat pattern, in most cases two intersecting thickens are needed. One inside out, and one outside in.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report