Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Parts list complete with sub assembly info

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
duguid.1
7555 Views, 4 Replies

Creating a Parts list complete with sub assembly info

My company have recently bought the Inventor package and are looking for us to start creating our steelwork design drawings for fabricating offshore containers and cabins. We think it will be easier to create certain aspects of the structure (lifting padeyes, airflow ducting etc) as a general assembled part as these tend not to change between containers. These assemblies would then be placed into the overall assembly and positioned to suit. But when we create a parts list the pre-made assemblies only come up in the parts list as one generalised 'Padeye Assembly' relating to the file name. Is there anyway we can set up our list to divide the parts from the pre-made assembly into the main parts list?

We are also having a nightmare trying to apply a material type to the saved parts for placing into the main assembly, this is probably an very easy thing to do but we are just novices at inventor and cant seem to find a way to add a material to a part that will show up on the parts list of the main assembly. The only material-related thing we can find is the color overide but we are aware that only adds a material colour to the part rather than a actual material of the part.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Hello, 🙂

Have a look at the Document settings for the "Padeye assembly".  Select the Tools tab from the ribbon and in the Options panel will be a document settings button, on the dialogue that appears you will have 5 tabs, one of which will be "Bill of Materials", change the default BOM Structure to being "Phantom", I think this is what you will need to expand the Padeye sub-assembly into individual parts.

There are a number of things to do in order to show your material on the parts list, obviously the first thing is to ensure you have a column for the part material in your parts list, without a screenshot I am shooting in the dark.  The place for changing your material is in iProperties, select the Physical tab and make your selection, you can only change the material for part files and weldments (assembly documents with weld features).  If you have done both these things then I would like to see a  dataset as I can only speculate what the problem is.

Hope this helps

Scott

Message 3 of 5

Scott,

Thanks alot your spot on with both solutions they have worked a treat, much appreciated.

Not sure if you are familiar with steelwork but, the majority of our structure is usually mild steel which is an option in the material drop-down of iProperties which is good, but mild steel comes in all different types of grades depending on the strength and composition of the steel and how it has been formed. As part of our drawings we need to include these grades to each item for the fabricators to procure the correct materials.

Do you know if the Inventor material library goes as in-depth as this? And if so how could we implement these into our parts list?

If no we could easily add a column to the parts list and manually input the grades alongside the material column, but an automatic drop-down grade selection menu would be ideal if you know a way of doing this.

Thanks again,

Ryan

Message 4 of 5

No problem. Smiley Happy

I feel the best way forward in terms of grades of mild steel is to create all the required grades in your template part document and flush the styles back to the style library so they are available to all other documents, obviously this material creation overhead is a one off, once they are created you hopefully will never have to touch your materials again.  Short and cheap method, copy "Steel, Mild" time and again and rename it, longer but better, copy "Steel, Mild", rename it, update material properties from a material website.

Avoid doing things manually at all costs, manual involves spelling errors, personal interpretation and frustration.  I'm working for a company and I have typed the same description for a part now 4 times as they don't want to invest anytime in making their Inventor software good for them.

I have found, the better foundations you put down for Inventor, the better it will be for you.

Hope this helps

Scott

Message 5 of 5
Paul-Mason
in reply to: duguid.1

Is this what your wanting fore your parts list?? "MATERIAL" and "FILE NAME" are all in the list of attributes that can be added to parts list. Simply highlight, single LMB in the parts list RMD and select EDIT PARTS LIST and the the leftmost icon to take you to the available attributes list.

ScreenShot009.png

ScreenShot006.png

This parts list was created in the IDW environment from "PARTS LIST" on the "ANNOTATE" tab. with the following settings

ScreenShot007.png

There is also this  useful add-in IV Parts List With Thumbnail, attached, that give a pictorial view parts list base on what your selected attributes in the parts list in the IDW.

==============
Inventor 2023 Pro
HP Z420 workstation
Xeon 3.7Ghz CPU 8 Cores, 64 GB Ram
64bit (The Garbage known as) Windows 10 Pro
AMD FirePro V3900 (ATI FireGL) (1GB RAM)
=================
Ashington Northumberland (UK) ~ Home to the WORLD FAMOUS Pitman Painters Group

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report