Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Creating Step file error

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
305 Views, 6 Replies

Creating Step file error

Hi everyone,

I tried searching the forum to see if I could find an answer to my problem but was unable to find one.

I am trying to create a step file of an assembly, the assembly consists of maybe 50-100 parts.  I am currently running Inventor 2009.   In a new part file, I derive the assembly to make it one solid entitity.  Then I save that as a step file.  However when i open the step file, i have a bunch of extra "parts" in my model tree.  These parts seem to be where the bolts and threaded holes interfere or not all parts joined to the main solid model.  How can I eliminate this?

Also on a side note, is there anyway to change the orientation of the WCS?

Thanks,

Dan

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

anybody have an idea on this? please

Message 3 of 7
JDMather

Part of the problem in getting an answer is that you are using an old release and it is hard to remember what was avialable back then.

Did 2009 have Shrinkwrap (I think not)?

as far as the WCS problem - did 2009 have Move Bodies (I think not)?

The easiest solution might be to download a 30-day trial of 2013.

Might be able to do something with free Inventor Fusion http://labs.autodesk.com,  but I'm not real familiar with that program.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

No, i don't believe inventor 2009 has any of those features.  Unfortunately if I get the free trial and lets say it works, if I save the files I won't be able to reopen again in my current version.  I also don't think there is any plans on upgrading anytime soon.

Thanks for the advice though

Message 5 of 7
Cadmanto

Hi Dan,

As far as the WCS goes, I am not aware of a way to reorientate that spcifically.  When you insert your first part it locks it into the WCS.  You can change the mates of that part to help reorientate it.

What I am wondering about the step files is, can you turn off these features maybe by creating a LOD that suppressed the features that are giving you fits and then save that off as a step file.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

I figured I can re-mate everything to the XYZ planes, but I was hoping to avoid that step.

As for the step files, I can delete all the extra unneeded parts that occurs and resave the full model as a step file.  However I was trying to avoid that.

Message 7 of 7
JDMather

more information on the WCS

in the assembly - find the grounded part (usually first part) right click and Unground.

Expand the Origin of the Assembly and the Origin of the formerly grounded part.

Add Mate or Mate Flush constraints as appropriate to the Origin planes to rotate the assembly to the desired XYZ orientation.

Edit, I guess you know that technique.

As an alternative you could Rotate in AutoCAD.  (assuming associativity of this derived part is not an issue)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report