Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create oarts in an assembly

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Mark.Lancaster
321 Views, 3 Replies

Create oarts in an assembly

I’m sure this question has been posted before…

When creating a new part in an assembly and I select a face of an existing component, how does Inventor determine the orientation and origin of that new part?   I understand how Inventor works when I select the plane/origin of a part or pick out in space in the assembly…   But the placement based on the face of an existing component seems random..

I normally do not like creating parts inside of an assembly but I was trying some new workflows.

Inv 2013/2014

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

I'm not entirely sure how it's placing the origin - I know it flushes a plane to the face you decided to make it on.

I can only warn against making parts in assemblies without being careful. If you project geometry from the assembly, you'll create an adaptive part.

Having adaptive parts that are adaptive to other adaptive parts, and so on, will make it hard for inventor to calculate as well, so be careful.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2021
Message 3 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

When I make a part in an assembly the first thing I do is Mate the remaining origin plane DOF to the part I am modeling against (or to the assembly origin planes).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 4
blair
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

The default is X-Y with the extrusion being in the Z direction unless you have changed the defaults for "Part" in the Application Options. This is the same for Sheetmetal as well.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report