Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a spline with given points

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
fce
Enthusiast
1975 Views, 4 Replies

Create a spline with given points

Hello,

I have a group of Points coming from a step.file. So I dont have their coordinates, excel list or anything else. Just the step file. Around 100 points. There is a line between each 2 consecutive points.

Is there any way to select all the points and create a complete spline?

Or even to select all the points and create tangent arcs between all of them?

I am not sure how it can help but I send a print screen of the points.

Best Regards,
Francisco Vaz Cerqueira

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
CCarreiras
in reply to: fce

Hi!

I thinks it's impossible... i could inventor know the points sequency to join in a spline?!

You have to pick the points one at time and in the correct sequence.Smiley Frustrated

If your curve has a math formula, try to use the "equation curve" tool.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
fce
Enthusiast
in reply to: CCarreiras

Hello Carlos C,

I thought something would be possible since the step file has an origin. So the points could be defined relative to that.

Until now only one situation occured in which I needed the spline and I had to do it like you said. One by one in the correct sequence.

But in the future I will have to do it to other groups of points.

I do not have the equation formula as well. I will try to define an equation for it. If not I guess I will have to do it the patient way, as you said.

Thank you for your help,

Best Regards

Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: fce

Keep in mind that more points DOES NOT equate better curve.

I will wager that I can create a better curve, well within whatever the manufacturing tolerance is, with fewer than 10 points (I'm guessing with only 3-5 points).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 5
fce
Enthusiast
in reply to: JDMather

Hello,

I did so. With 5 curves, I obtained a max difference of 0,3 mm, which is more than fine. This solves part of the situation.

Still I would like to have it as a spline because in the assembly there is a bearing sliding along all the curve. And I dont think I can make the bearing slide along several consecutive curves. Is there a way to do so?

Best Regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report