Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Countersink Diameter for Flat Head Socket Cap Screws

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
6334 Views, 2 Replies

Countersink Diameter for Flat Head Socket Cap Screws

When using the Hole tool in Inventor 2011, there is no clearance hole for the fastener type of Flat Head Socket Cap Screw available. There is Flat Head Machine Screw (82), but this type of screw has a smaller head diameter. Content Center has Flat Head Socket Cap Screws, but using the Flat Head Machine Screw (82) clearance hole will make a countersink that it too small, and when constrained, the head of the screw will stand proud of the surface rather than flush. (See attached reference)

As a workaround, I added the Flat Head Socket Cap Screw to the Clearance.xls file in design data, and used the max. head diameter of the theoretical sharp per Machinery's Handbook (ANSI B18.3.) This works just fine.

I know this issue has been brought up here before (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Bolt-heads-not-flush/m-p/1925341/highlight/true#M246...), and others, and I'm curious if this is an issue for many people in the community. If so, can Autodesk add the data so we don't have to customize the clearance table to support a content center fastener?

Thanks,
Dave

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

been a minor issue for years now.. Autodesk hasn't addressed it yet..

Most of us have simply done what you did and edit the excel sheet and moved on...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Yeah, it's not a biggie, just annoying. I sent it to the customer feedback portal.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report