Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could I have an iam as a Template? - Inventor 2014

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Tompa1414
910 Views, 11 Replies

Could I have an iam as a Template? - Inventor 2014

Hi

I have created ipt- and iam-files that I could use as templates when I create a new file.

The ipt-files work great, I press New --> select the ipt-template-file I want --> Inventor 2014 open the selected file -->I do my design changes --> I save it with a different name (so I don't destroy the ipt-template-file). Great!

However, the iam-file doesn't work as great as the ipt-file.

I press New --> Selec the iam-template-file I want --> Inventor 2014 open the selected file --> I do my design changes in the iam- and ipt-files --> I could save the iam-file with a different name. The problem I have is that I also want to save the ipt-files (who belongs to the iam-file) with different names (So I don't destroy the iam-template-file).

So the idea is that I would start from a general iam-template, do my design changes in the iam-file and in the ipt-files, save the iam-file and its ipt-files with independent names (So I don't destroy the template-file).

Is this possible? I would save a lot of time in my work if it's possible.

regards // Tommy

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: Tompa1414

I confess that I am completely lost in your problem description.

If you do File>Save As Template then use the template you don't have to worry about overwriting the template.  This is the very purpose of template files.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
admaiora
in reply to: JDMather

I was confusing as JD is about this.

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 12
mrattray

I'm another who doesn't quite understand. You have to save your files, how else would you expect things to work?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 12
JDMather

When you do a File>New you are doing exactly that - creating a brand new file, not "editing" the template file.

Inventor uses your template to create a New file based on the template.  You can then simply Save, you don't need to Save As or anything special.

Are you using Projects or are you using Vault?

Have you gone through the Tutorials?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
mdavis22569

I think I get what you're asking ... Are you using Vault ? If so why not do it via Vault with a Copy Design and rename it from the start ... then you won't compromise your template. There are quite a few other ways possible, but this is just really shortcutting yourself ...and leading to possible problems... but here are some options: You can set up the template, as above if you're not using vault, but SAVE it first as the new name, then do the changes. This will keep you from overwriting your originals. Ilogic is another option... do your changes and do an ILOGIC rule to Save as ... so it keeps you in the new file ...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
wimann

So everyone seems to be a little confused but I think I get your problem.

You want to have a Template.iam that already includes a set of NewComponent.ipt's.

But you want to be able to open Template.iam and make the necessary changes to Template.iam and the NewComponent.ipt's.

Then you want to be able to save Template.iam in the correct location and filename and have the NewComponent.ipt's travel with it as brand new .ipt files in a subfolder. Am I right?

If so, I'd say no. What you're trying to do isn't going to work. What I would suggest instead is to create a .ipt template that is a multibody model with bodies preset to export so that you can save it in the correct location (after making changes) then use Make Components to export the solid bodies into a new Assembly.

Hope this helps.

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 8 of 12
cwhetten

Hi Tommy and welcome to the forum.  I'm going to take a stab at this, too.

It sounds to me like you have an assembly template set up that already has part files in it, and these part files are also template files.  When you start a new assembly from this template, it creates a new assembly file, but it reuses the original template part files.  So, editing the parts will mess up the original template files.

The regular save command doesn't seem to handle your scenario well.  I suggest you try the assembly Copy Components command found on the Assemble tab > Pattern drop-down > Copy (see below).

Copy Components.png

You would then select your assembly to start the copy with, and set each part file to copy instead of reuse.  Then you can give the new assembly and each new part file a new name.  Then your new assembly and part files will no longer be connected to the template.

Edit:  After re-reading Will's post, it sounds like he understood it the same way.  So, you've got choices!  Smiley Happy  Either the method I describe above, or the method given by Will would work.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 9 of 12

Hi Tompa1414,

In addition to the other replies, consider using the iLogic Design Copy tool to create a copy of the assembly, and then make the changes needed. Note that you don't need to have any iLogic code in your files to use this tool to copy your designs.

How to video:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-E74FC143-A73D-4BFF-A74F-DDA157B4EF31

Related links:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-7FD2AC5F-1EBC-4450-86DC-04B3CEB14D67

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/String-Replace-for-iLogic-Design-Copy/idi-p/38213...

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 10 of 12
Tompa1414
in reply to: wimann

Yes this is exactly what I meant.

Okey but how will the partlist works with a multibody model? Will the partlist still works for the multibody model?

I mean I want the partlist to list all of the "bodies" in the ipt-file and not only the ipt-file.

Message 11 of 12
Tompa1414
in reply to: cwhetten

Thanks 🙂

Message 12 of 12

Thanks 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report