Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy and Paste from Inventor to ACAD

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
WILLIAMF
901 Views, 12 Replies

Copy and Paste from Inventor to ACAD

I have a lot of notes in an Inventor 2013 file that I need to paste into an ACAD file, so I do not have to retype all the notes.

I tried, but I never get the paste option in ACAD2013.

Can someone help out? I thought this would be simple, or I am missing something.

Thanks

Dell Precision 5820
Windows 10Pro
Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb SDRam
NVIDIA Quadro
Product Design Suite 2019 Ultimate
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
mrattray
in reply to: WILLIAMF

Are you trying to copy a text note out of an idw? If so, then just edit the text in the idw and copy paste the raw text out of the Inventor editor and into an AutoCAD text editor.
If not, then what kind of note are we dealing with?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 3 of 13
WILLIAMF
in reply to: mrattray

Yes, How do I get it into the text editor?

I edit the text in the Inventor file, open acad, right click but no option to paste.

Dell Precision 5820
Windows 10Pro
Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb SDRam
NVIDIA Quadro
Message 4 of 13
mrattray

You need to place a text box in ACAD and edit that, then you can paste into that box.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 13
WILLIAMF

Got it!

Thanks a lot

Dell Precision 5820
Windows 10Pro
Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb SDRam
NVIDIA Quadro
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

You could also right click on your drawing file (in windows explorer) and go to open with ACAD. You might have to explode the text before copying. This might be faster if you have a lot of text boxes to copy.

Message 7 of 13
mrattray
in reply to: Anonymous

That will work if he's using Inventor DWG's, but not with IDW's.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous

Mrattray:

That’s a very good point.

Message 9 of 13
WILLIAMF
in reply to: Anonymous

Yeah

I forgot to mention that its Inventor IDW to acad DWG.

Dell Precision 5820
Windows 10Pro
Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb SDRam
NVIDIA Quadro
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

Where I work we save all our files as Inventor DWG’s. Sometimes I forget that people use IDW’s.

This might be a stupid question but why would you want to save your file as an IDW? As far as I know the only advantage to an IDW file is the size is a little bit smaller. Does it have any advantages working inside Inventor?

The advantage of an Inventor DWG is that it works well with AutoCAD.

I guess the real questing is am I missing out on something because I save my files as Inventor DWG?

Message 11 of 13
blair

IDW is the default native file from the start. The ability to save as a DWG was added somewhere around release 9.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 13
WILLIAMF

I have been using Inventor since R5.3 and have just become accustom to saving as IDW. Never saw any benefit in saving as DWG. I want to see which files are Inventor and old ACAD which we rarely if ever use for new design. Its just there to support legacy files.

Dell Precision 5820
Windows 10Pro
Quad Core Intel Xeon
32 Gb SDRam
NVIDIA Quadro
Message 13 of 13
ic198

One advantage of saving as DWG is you can open the drawing directly in AutoCAD. You can't edit the views in AutoCAD but you can add details. If you have typical details saved in old ACAD drawings it is usually much faster to add them in this way than to try and import them into Inventor (I'm guessing the experts are going to wince at this!)

When you reopen the drawing in Inventor it will come up with a warning message but ok it and the details will come in fine. NB: You can't dimension from anything added in ACAD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report