Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Context menu gets cut off in 2012 SP2

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
smjanows
623 Views, 14 Replies

Context menu gets cut off in 2012 SP2

Not only do I find the Marking Menu extremely annoying, but it's buggy as well.  It cuts off the context menu in certain zones of he screen - see attached.  If the object I right click on is low enough, it will bump the menu up.  The classic context menu works just fine.  I find this happening more than not when trying to suppress a part for a LOD.

Fullscreen capture 6112012 100103 AM.bmp.jpg

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
mcgyvr
in reply to: smjanows

Just for clarity..It has nothing to do with SP2.. Its been like that since day 1 of 2012..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 15
smjanows
in reply to: mcgyvr

You'd think SP1 would have fixed that. And for sure SP2.  Why it it that a few feature never works properly until at least 3 or more releases later (and sometimes never)?

Message 4 of 15
mrattray

If you don't like the marking menu why not just turn it off?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 5 of 15
smjanows
in reply to: mrattray

I tried to get to like it, but it didn't work properly.  So I was left with no choice but to turn it off.

Message 6 of 15
bobvdd

This problem no longer exists in 2013 as far as I can see.

We do properly flip the context menu above the radial menu if not enough space is left between the cursor location and the bottom of the screen.

In 2013,  you can also opt to see either a short context menu or a full context menu or just the radial menu.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 7 of 15
mcgyvr
in reply to: bobvdd

@bobvdd wrote:

We do properly flip the context menu above the radial menu if not enough space is left between the cursor location and the bottom of the screen.

In 2013,  you can also opt to see either a short context menu or a full context menu or just the radial menu.

Bob

How about a hotfix for 2012... 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 15
smjanows
in reply to: mcgyvr

I second that.  It's a bug in 2012.  Please fix it.  "It's fixed in the next release" is not the correct answer.

Message 9 of 15
benemt

Please do issue a fix for this for Inventor 2012.  Our company just upgraded from 2010 to 2012 and won't be switching again for some time.

Message 10 of 15
bobvdd
in reply to: benemt

To bring it to the attention of our developers, I have logged it as defect

1465211 Context menu cut off when cursor is too close to bottom of screen

I can make no promises on hotfixes. We reserve hotfixes for issues that have absolutely no workaround.

In this case there is a workaround: postion your cursor further away from the screen border before hitting the RMB.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 11 of 15
Harry_G

Huh? If Autodesk doesn't care about hotfixing this issue why do you forward it to your developers at all? I hope you're not serious.

All screenshots with cut-off menus seem to have a Vault entry. Mine has not and so far I have not found any cursor position that makes it get cut off. Maybe it's that simple.

Message 12 of 15
PACDrafting

Agree with this needing fixing.

It's simple problems like this that turn users off the software.
Message 13 of 15
smjanows

@bobvdd wrote:

Bob

To bring it to the attention of our developers, I have logged it as defect

1465211 Context menu cut off when cursor is too close to bottom of screen

I can make no promises on hotfixes. We reserve hotfixes for issues that have absolutely no workaround.

In this case there is a workaround: postion your cursor further away from the screen border before hitting the RMB.

Bob

So the code already exists, yet it's too much trouble to implement?  This is ridiculous.  Companies do not run on an annual upgrade cycle.  If a workaround exists it's not a priority?  Let's look at this little hypothetical scenario: The house I am looking to buy has a front door that cannot be opened, and never will probably be able to be opened, but the patio door in back is another way to get in.  The newer house next door has this problem fixed, but when that design changed, the door between the house and garage was not put in.  That cannot be changed either.  "You can wait to buy the house we'll build next year which has it fixed."  What defects can I expect in that one? "You can buy and move to the one we'll build the following year."

I'll just get the one across the street from the other builder.

Yes, data migration is as bad as moving to a new house.  If it's a defect, fix it.

Message 14 of 15
bobvdd
in reply to: Harry_G

The context menu underwent a overhaul between 2012 and 2013. So it might not be as simple as just copying and pasting the 2013 code into 2012.

We not only have hotfixes. We also produce updates and service packs.
I think this issue is best handled in an update.. That is the reason why I logged the defect.

I am not sure that Vauklt is a factor. We can reproduce both on XP and Win7 without Vault being involved. 

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Message 15 of 15
PACDrafting

Thats a great example. Love it!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report