Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content Center vs. iParts

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
bbeilke
1535 Views, 5 Replies

Content Center vs. iParts

I'm sorry if this has been asked before.  I did a search and didn't find anything current.

We use numerous iParts in our work - some downloaded but most custom created.  However, while I really like some of the features they also cause us some headaches.  Because of some of those issues, we have actually replaced some of our iParts with a libraries of individual vendor-provided parts that were not available when the iParts were first created.  But that isn't a great option for families of parts with a very large number of items.

That leads me to my question about the content center.  Could anyone enlighten me (or point me toward a white paper or something similar) as to the advantages/disadvantages of publishing parts to the content center as opposed to just using the original iPart factories?  In addition to concerns such as the stability of the parts, how much more or less trouble is it to maintain/migrate custom content center libraries as opposed to individual iParts?  If you use a shared server for your content center files, is there a way to make those files available to laptop users when they are offline?

Thanks for any insights you may have.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CCarreiras
in reply to: bbeilke

Hi!

If you are working in a team, definitely it's important to install "Content Center" and "Library" in one server.

This way everybody as access to that custom parts.

You may put the iparts in a "Library" and give the path in the project, or you can publish them in the CC, as you preffer, but, the more important is put the Lib And CC in the server.

Regards.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
cbenner

The argument on one vs the other really has a lot to do with what you are going to use the parts for.  For example, if you are going to use Tube & Pipe or any of the routed systems, you will need the Content Center.  The same is true of any of the Design Accelerator functions; Frame Generator, Bolted Connections... etc.

If you are simply going to use these iparts in assemblies with standard constraints, then keeping them as iparts may be good enough.  You certainly could place them from the CC, it works either way for standard type assembly functions.

Either way, I agree with the previous answer, put everything on a server with shared access.  One access point, much easier to maintain and keep things current.  And you can control who has access to modifying these parts.

Did this help?

Message 4 of 6
bbeilke
in reply to: cbenner

Thanks to you both.

We currently have our "out-of-the-box" content center (which doesn't get used much) and all of our iParts on a shared server.  So I agree with you both on that part.  However, as far as that issue goes, my question had to due with one's ability or inability to access those content center files offline.  Currently, for our iParts, we just make the iPart shared drive "always available offline" for our laptop users so they always have access to those files when they are disconnected and out in the field.  Is there a way to do something similar with the content center?

The other issues I eluded to but wasn't going to get into for fear of getting the conversation off-track are some of the flakey behavior we sometimes experience with iParts.  For example, Vaulted iParts (factories or children) that seem to think they need to be updated and saved even though they haven't been edited at all.  We've had some iParts that suddenly aren't visible in an assembly (yes their visibility is turned on) but yet they always show up fine in drawings.  (On that issue, the recommendation I got was to recreate the iPart which doesn't account for the ton of assemblies in which the old iPart was used.)  Migration of iParts never seems to go smoothly.  Some migrate fine, others not so much - and they are not always the same iParts in either category).  So if I could alleviate some of those issues by publishing the iParts to the content center, that in and of itself would be worthwhile.  However, if maintaining/migrating all these files in the content center is going to also be a headache, then it may not be worth the effort.  

That's the kind of insight I'm really looking for.  How much trouble is it to publish iParts to the content center?  If you want to make them available for bolted connections and those types of tools, how difficult and/or time consuming is it to make generic iParts compatible with all the parameters required in each content center category?  How stable are custom parts published to the content center (with regard to the issues I mentioned above)?  If you add a new part/size to content center library (like adding a new row in an iPart factory table), does it affect the existing parts in that library? Etc.

Message 5 of 6
mikebelter

1.Both are good library content methods. iParts are easier to change if you have too. That can be good or bad. It is more involved to alter a CC library. I actually see that as a good thing.

2. We use a dedicated file share computer and installed Vault Server on it. We only use Vault to manage the CC libraries, not our working files, since there are only 2 of us on Inventor. That is a great way to securely manage the CC libraries in a shared environment.

3. You could place the CC libraries in a common network location where all have access. We don't do that since it is too easy for anyone to delete, move rename ... those files.

4. You could just use the default location that Autodesk installs the CC libraries and add your custom libraries there. That means you have to copy those files to everyone's computers though.

5. As far as being mobile, I work from home quite a bit and I merely synchronize the CC libraries between an external hard drive and the desktop version of the current CC libraries. Initially this does involve creating a desktop version of your custom CC libraries. That only has to be done any time you change the libraries. I work on the external hard drive at home.

Thanks,

Mike

Message 6 of 6
Cadmanto

I didn't read through all of the responses, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned.  What you can do is with some of your iparts you can create your own directory within the CC and publish these parts into the CC.  Plus the parts that you do like from the out of the box CC you can equally copy into your own special folder within the CC and start building your own custom library.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report