Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content Center Families Disappearing

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
d_m_fleming
1173 Views, 16 Replies

Content Center Families Disappearing

This is a recurring issue and has cost me many, many hours of lost work.

We have a custom content center. The families were brought in using "Copy to".

Lately, sometimes, when editing a family in the custom content center the family suddenly "disappears" while I am still working on it. I can't see it. Other users on other computers can't see it, but content center editor believes it is still there.

In this particular case the "missing" family was called Hex Bolt -Inch.

If I try to use "Copy to" to bring it back and start over I get a message like "Category Head Head in library GLM contains a family with an identical internal name. Would you like to replace the existing family ?(see attached file)" The filters do not seem to be the issue, since I can use "Save Copy as" to place the family (as long as I don't try to use Hex Bolt -Inch as the name)  and I can see it.(see attached file).

Attempting to place the bolt after the disappearance causes runtime error and system crash.

I always have to get our IT department to restore the file from backup, and I lose all the work i have done.

I sure would be grateful for some answers or ideas.

Thanks for your time.

I am using Build: 219, Release: 2012 SP2 on a 64 bit Windows 7 operating system

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
yannick3
in reply to: d_m_fleming

Hi
I think it's cause by the filter. On your screen capture the filter are active. Try with the filter inactive
Yannick Verreault
INV PRO 2015
MS Office 2007
Win 7 pro, core i7 950, asus P6T WS
nvidia Gforce GTX 295
WD caviar black 500Go
WD caviar black 1To

Message 3 of 17
cbenner
Message 4 of 17
d_m_fleming
in reply to: yannick3

Thanks for your comments Yannick.

I do not think this is a filter issue.

i have tried every combination of checkmarks possible.

I have attached a screen shot of filters off. Hex-bolt inch does not appear.

Message 5 of 17
d_m_fleming
in reply to: cbenner

Thank you for replying.

We are set up with Vault Professional 2012 but currently do not have any models or parts in it, though we are moving towards that.

We do not check stuff in and out of it to do any work yet.

We store all of our files on a T: drive. The content center files that we restore each time are on that drive.

I think Vault is on E: drive.

The plan is to get all of our standard parts modelled then load them into vault. We will then work locally on C;drive with checked out files and load new stuff from there.

There is a folder in the Vault called Content Center. I believe it populates with new Content Center part files that it has not seen in models before.

Unrelated to Vault:

I suspect my issue may be caused because some of the changes I am trying to make will result in a different name for the part file. If that particular member of the family has been used and has a current part file, maybe Inventor loses it's mind.

More werdness:If I try "save copy as" and try to use Hex Bolt -inch I get a message that the family name is already in use. However, "copy to" works with that file name now (though it didn't before)   ??????????????????????

Message 6 of 17
cbenner
Message 7 of 17
d_m_fleming

We look to the T:drive. Vault is not checked.

Please see attached.

Message 8 of 17
cbenner

@d_f_fleming wrote:

This is a recurring issue and has cost me many, many hours of lost work.

We have a custom content center. The families were brought in using "Copy to".

Lately, sometimes, when editing a family in the custom content center the family suddenly "disappears" while I am still working on it. 

Ok, not getting any ideas here... trying to narrow down what you're actually seeing.  In the above, do you mean it just disappears while you have it open for editing?  Like you're looking at it and ... POOF?

Message 9 of 17
d_m_fleming

Exactly. POOF.

Table is open when it happens. I get punted out and it disappears.

Message 10 of 17
cbenner

Okay, never seen anything like that before.  Something unusual is going on here obviously.  Are you a subscription customer?  Can you open a tech support case? 

Message 11 of 17
d_m_fleming

I will check into that.

Thanks for your time.

Message 12 of 17
LT.Rusty

May or may not be relevant here, but whenever I create a new family based on an existing one I always do it with a new family name.  I seem to recall from early experimentation with this that, unless the family name is changed when you copy an existing one to a different library, the original family that it was based on disappears, and is completely replaced by the new one.

The original isn't actually gone, as in it hasn't been deleted or anything, but Inventor will ignore its existence in favor of the copy that you've created, based on what it believes your intent to be.

I suspect that if you call your new family something other than "Hex Bolt - Inch" when you copy it that your problem may vanish.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 13 of 17
d_m_fleming
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Thank you for yor reply.

This thought has occurred to us and we could try that.

Have to ask if there is some reason Autodesk has set up the "Copy to" command to use the exact family name in the new location. Maybe so in merged views it will default to our version and ignore Inventor version? With your method, in merged views, our users would have to know which family to choose (No big deal, just needs GLM in name.)

Message 14 of 17
LT.Rusty

@d_f_fleming wrote:

Thank you for yor reply.

This thought has occurred to us and we could try that.

Have to ask if there is some reason Autodesk has set up the "Copy to" command to use the exact family name in the new location. Maybe so in merged views it will default to our version and ignore Inventor version? With your method, in merged views, our users would have to know which family to choose (No big deal, just needs GLM in name.)

YES, that's what it was!!!!  I couldn't remember exactly.  After you create your new family, change the name.  Then turn off merged views.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 15 of 17
iUser

I am having exactly the same problem, it is super annoying. Each time we have to re-create the family and it is costing us a lot of time and money. And no it does not have anything to do with the filter, doesnt matter how many time you put the filters on and off they never come back un less you go in to the history of parts that you have used in the past. Im pretty sure this is not the right way to go though. Please let us know if someone finds the solution.

Message 16 of 17
robb_burford

Was there ever any solution or reason for this? i am now having the same issue in Inventor 2019.

Message 17 of 17
johnsonshiue

Hi Robb,

Is the issue about not having all CC families? Have you included the proper libraries (Get Started -> Project -> Configure CC Library)? Or, it is about admin privilege to access the libraries? Please share a screenshot or start a new thread with more detail. Forum experts can help take a look.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report