Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content Center Characters

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
mpatchus
972 Views, 8 Replies

Content Center Characters

We have an extensive library of parts that we consistently utilize, but we do use Content Center for hardware and routed systems components.

All of our library parts have our company ERP's item number in the stock number iProperty, and the ERP's description in the Comments iProperty.

For CC items, we have added columns for these and mapped them to the appropriate iProperty.

Everything works great except for one thing.

Many of our ERP descriptions inlude inch marks, foot marks, and the & symbol.  For our normal library parts thhis is not an issue.  However, CC items utilize these characters differently.  The result is our descriptions come out different that what is entered.

See the example below...

cc description.JPG

Anyone have any idea how to include these characters in the CC descriptions?

Thanks

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
blair
in reply to: mpatchus

You would need to copy the required CC libraries to your own read/write "My Library" and edit the columns for the CC parts to match your ERP system.

There is a good post a couple of weeks ago (search Stainless Steel Fittings} on how to do this.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 9
mpatchus
in reply to: blair

You missed the point of my post.

We have copies the libraries to our own Read/Write library.

The issue is actually editing the columns.

Here is the description entered into the column (cut & pasted from our ERP program.

CC Description pasted.JPG

After hitting OK and getting the family succesfully published message, if I go back into editing the family (or use the part in an assebmly), the description now reads...

CC Description Result.JPG

Noticed that it dropped the INCH MARK and the AMPERSAND symbols.

THIS IS THE ISSUE.

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 4 of 9
Jon.Dean

I don't think it is possible, Inventor uses the special characters for string building.

I will do some testing.

Jon.

Jon Dean

Message 5 of 9
pauldoubet

I just did a quick test and I am sure it is possible to include those characters in you CC descriptions. You will need to place the characters inside the double quote marks; i.e. {G_W}&"" x "&{G_L}&""". See the attached screen capture

Paul

Message 6 of 9
mpatchus
in reply to: pauldoubet

Well that would work with the inch marks... a real PITA but its a workaround.

Still have an issue with the "&" in the description though.

50027214 -  COUPLING,CONDUIT, RIGID & INTERMEDIATE, 1", FEMALE THD, ALUM, UL APPROVED

Inventor 2025 Beta

Message 7 of 9
pauldoubet

PITA...actually the formula I showed is the standard method of creating intelligent part numbers, etc. in CC. The & is still a problem if used in a formula. It might be possible to use the & in a plain text column but if you try to use that text column as part of a formula you won't get the &..sorry I can't provide a solution for that at this point.

Paul

Message 8 of 9
Jon.Dean

As Paul says, you can add the inch sign easily by placing it in quotes. The ampersand cannot be used, you will have to write it out in full or use a different character.

Jon.

Jon Dean

Message 9 of 9
mpatchus

The PITA part is that instead of simply copying and pasting the descriptions from our ERP, I have to read each description when pasting and look for an " mark, then manually enter an additional " mark next to it.

A real PITA when we are looking at over 5,000 Content Center items, and I have to do it for every single item.

Inventor 2025 Beta

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report