Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constraint in assemblies

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
koenco
725 Views, 11 Replies

Constraint in assemblies

I have it lots of times that i want to constrain a part symmetric between two planes. The only way i can find is to set a constraint with the distances, so i type in a offset. There must be a way to do this without typing in an offset i guess. See picture: i want to center the small block in the bigger block. Any ideas?
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
admaiora
in reply to: koenco

We can't see your image, anyway..

from Inventor 2014 you can use the Simmetry Constraint.

c.jpg

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 12
Cadmanto
in reply to: admaiora

Nice to see this got implemented based on this idea.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Symmetrical-constraints/idi-p/3667556

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 12
admaiora
in reply to: Cadmanto

Nice work Cadmanto!   Smiley Happy

I really use it a lot.

thanks! (thanks too to the developers teams..!)

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 5 of 12
Cadmanto
in reply to: admaiora

Yes, looks like a great tool.  I am only on 2013 at work, but have 2014 at home and I can try it there. Smiley Happy

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 6 of 12
koenco

Hello, thanks for replies. But the symmetric constraint is not the solution: with this tool you constrain 2 parts symmetrically to a plane. I have only one part to center it in a suare hole of another part. I hope you can see my image now, it's attached. Apparently posting don't work good in Chrome.

What i want to reach is very simple: center the middle block in the other block.

Message 7 of 12
Cadmanto

I see what you are trying to do.  A few thoughts, if the idea that I added a link for in my previous posting you can either post a new idea piggy backing that one that speaks to this, or coment on the one I linked here in this thread.

Another thought is to just constrain equally to the edges.  Which is what I think you already have been doing.  Or, create a multibodied part.  Once big square then do the square border around the middle like you show.  Constraining it with dimensions.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 12
koenco

What do you mean with "constrain equally to the edges" ? Sounds like this is what i need.
Message 9 of 12
bob_holland

koenco,

Depending of how these were created, have you thought about constraining origin planes?

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 10 of 12
koenco
in reply to: bob_holland

Yes i did try constraining origin planes, but i hoped there was an easier i function i didn't know of.
Message 11 of 12
Cadmanto

What I meant by that was it looked as thought the gap around the middle square was even on all sides.  So I was suggesting the distance contraint all the way round be equal.  Make sense?

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 12 of 12
koenco

Yes i could do a distance constraint, but if i change the block or the hole (make bigger/smaller), the distance stays fixed, and the block isn't in the middle anymore. So i thought on some function to center the block in the hole, and it i change anything the block stays in the center. So distance constraints are not an option as they are fixed. Thanks for helping.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report