Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constraining a part to a Sketch point in the Assembly Environment?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
tdswanson
4685 Views, 2 Replies

Constraining a part to a Sketch point in the Assembly Environment?

Hey guys:

I've come across a project that I don't know how to accomplish.  Unfortunately, it's chock full of proprietary customer data, so I can't share the parts or the assembly.  But I can pretty well explain what needs to happen, and I've attached a JPG that shows a bit of what I'm doing.

I need to design a bracket to hold an RPM sensor at a certain gap to a spiral bevel gear.  I've got a huge assembly model (non-Inventor) from the customer, as well as the model for the sensor.  My plan is to start a master IAM, insert the customer assembly, insert the sensor and constain him, and draw the various hardware I need around the sensor.

So I start by making a work plane that matches the bevel angle and is in a location so the end of my sensor will be flush to that plane.  Create a sketch on that plane, then project 2 relevant axes to create the appropriate "origin" from which my location will be based.  Place a point on one line, at a certain radial distance and constrain my point.

So now I've got a point and a plane that are where I want my sensing face and my centerline axis to be.  What now?  I was thinking that I'd create a work axis "normal to plane through a point", but this workflow isn't available in the assembly environment.  I can't constrain a solid to a sketch point, so I really don't know what to do at this point in order to put the part where I need it.

Advice?  Thanks!!!!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
tdswanson
in reply to: tdswanson

After I posted this, I figured it out.....

I created the bevel plane not with the teeth face, but by using a known angle and an origin axis.  So I created work plane #2 being perp to work plane #1.  Then I created work plane #3 as an offset plane from #2 and linked the distance to the shared offset parameter so moving the point with that dimension will move the sensor.  Once that was there, I created an axis based on "intersection of two planes" and constrained the sensor centerline to that axis.

It's pretty convoluted to explain and it took a while to figure out, but it works and everything is parametrically linked......

thanks for reading anyway!

Message 3 of 3
jingyi.liu
in reply to: tdswanson

Good to know you have solved problem.

You can create a UCS on the point, but you need take care of its oritation, then you can add constraint (Constraint Set tab) to achieve it.

Jingyi Liu

Inventor Product Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report