Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constraining a part to a Point

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
jeddell
423 Views, 9 Replies

Constraining a part to a Point

Hi,

I apologise if this has been asked or of this question is in the wrong area. I am very new with inventor and am playing with some simple modelling to try and better my experience.

I've attached an image to this post in the hope to better explain what I'm trying to do.

I am assembling a weldment and need to place a looped bar onto a tubular stanchion 50mm below the top of the stanchion. I have made axis at each point on the stanchion and the bar, but i cant figure out how to contrain the loop to the point I require. All I can get it to do it to constrain to the centre of the stanchion only.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: jeddell

@jeddell wrote:

I have made axis at each point on the stanchion and the bar,

It is unclear if you made a workpoint at these locations.
Make a workpoint in each part and then constraint the workpoints.
There might be easier ways to constrain - attach your assembly here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
jeddell
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the prompt reply. Not sure how to set a "workpoint"?

Have attached the assembly, but I'm not sure if you'll be able to open it. I dont know how to export from inventor so all parts will go with it.

If it does work, and you manage to figure it out, I would appreciate the steps on how you did it? 

As I mentioned before, brand new at this and am looking to expand my knowledge. I find keeping step by step instructins through forums some of the best ways of putting together a usefull how to guide.

Cheers

Message 4 of 10
JDMather

You will have to attach the part files (*.ipt) as well.

You can attach one-by-one

or

put all files into a single folder

right click on the folder and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder

and attach the resulting *.zip file here.

BTW - I have learned better than 90% of what I know about Inventor from this forum.

You have come to the right place.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 10
jeddell

OK,

I thought there was a means of exporting the project so it would be less hassle from opening. No matter. I have attached a .zip file, including the project file. I'll look into the exporting features at a later date.

Thanks

Message 6 of 10
JDMather

It is unclear to me what you were trying to do - but maybe the attached will get you closer.

BTW - on most of your parts you are doing too much work, the process could be simplified.

If interested I could post an example.

Message 7 of 10
jeddell

I'd love any help or guidance you can provide, Thanks!  Looking at the example now.

Message 8 of 10
jeddell

OK, 

You nailed the loop. Just where it needed to be. That Tab however does not go on the top of the stanchion, but on the opposite side from the loop, 360 mm down from the top.

I can see the mate objects in your project, but I don't know how you did it. Its one thing that inventor does not do too well is provie enough detail on how the mates were done, ie, I can see that you did a 'mate - mate' constratint, but to what? surface, point? axis? I cant tell.

I'd really appreciate the steps you took to acheive placing the loop? 

Once the loop and tab is in position, the aim is to weld them into place. There is one more hole to add to the stanchion at the base, but i just have to find the measurement.

Thanks heaps for you help

Message 9 of 10
jeddell

Think I got it Let me know if you can understand this:

three constraints for the tab to be placed on the opposite side of the loop and 365 mm down from the top of the stanchion.

CONSTRAIN 1 - tangent constratin

The surface of the stanchion to the flat surface of the tab.

CONSTRAIN 2 - MATE - MATE

With the two corresponding planes of the stanchion and the tab so that the tabe lines up central to the stanchoin

CONSTRAIN 3 - MATE - MATE

With a work point placed 365mm down from the top of the Stanchion on the opposite side of the loop, to the edge of the tab where the chamfer is located.

I had to offset the tabe by 50mm to get it to sit in the right spot. I've attached the project again for you to check. I'd be  interested in your feedback to see where I culd improve.

Cheers

Message 10 of 10
JDMather

@jeddell wrote:

I can see the mate objects in your project, but I don't know how you did it. Its one thing that inventor does not do too well is provide enough detail on how the mates were done,

Tools>Application Options>Assembly tab and set as shown below....

Component Constraints.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report