Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constrain cylinder edge to angle surface

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
cadcamm99
3039 Views, 12 Replies

Constrain cylinder edge to angle surface

I have a cylinder part that I want to constrain to another cylinder part that has an angled surface but I can't seem to do it. I can't seem to pick the parts edge or a quadrant point to mate with the angle surface. Is there a way to make this happen?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
admaiora
in reply to: cadcamm99

Can you attach the 2 parts?

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 13
JDMather

The Insert constraint should work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 13
wimann

JD is right, an insert constraint would work. But I guess if you're set on using a centerline mate and another constraint, you could use the top surface of the normal clyinder to the centerpoint of the geometric circle that exists on the bottom side of the sloped cylinder.

See attached for both.

-Will Mann

Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2020
Message 5 of 13

Hi cadcamm99,

In addition to the other replies, you might try something like this:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/06/assembly-challenge-mating-spherical.html

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 6 of 13
johnsonshiue

Hi! It is better to post the files here. It is possible the cone face may not be a true cone. If it is a spline face, I don't think Insert will work. You will need to create a loop-based workpoint to define the center and then create a workaxis based on the workpoint. It is hard to tell which is which just by looking at the images.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 13

The link was exactly what I was looking for.  Except the distance moved is so small that it only shows 0.00000.  It moves but the distance is so small.  On my other assembly where the parts are larger this works fine.  Its like 0.00045.  Too bad I can't put a point on the circular edge.  It would make things much simpler.

Message 8 of 13
cadcamm99
in reply to: wimann

The insert constraint would only align the center points of the edges.   I want the edge to touch the drafted surface.

Message 9 of 13
JDMather

@cadcamm99 wrote:

Too bad I can't put a point on the circular edge.  It would make things much simpler.

You can put a point on a circular edge, or even in space in imaginary location where a cylindrical edge would be at axis of hole.

Attach your file here for demonstration.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 10 of 13
JDMather

@cadcamm99 wrote:

The insert constraint would only align the center points of the edges.   I want the edge to touch the drafted surface.

I'll wager that Insert constraint will work for me.

Attach your assembly here.

Message 11 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

Message 12 of 13
cadcamm99

I got this to work.  I used the link from before.  But since I picked centerpoint to centerpoint, it did not register a distance. I had a plane at the bottom of the drafted part and used that instead and it registered a distance and it worked fine. now the edge touches the drafted surface.

Message 13 of 13
JDMather

You know the diameter of the cylinder.

Simply create a circle or line and Split the cone face (or spherical face in Curtis' example).  Now you have a perfect circle on the cone or sphere to use Insert.  No calculations needed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report