Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constant "Not Responding" and Freezing

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
mmaes
1379 Views, 13 Replies

Constant "Not Responding" and Freezing

Ok, so I just got a new computer after having to deal with "Not Responding" from my old computer all the time just to find out I still have this issue with a brand new computer.  It's really frustrating because it will do this all the time with small assemblies, big assemblies, parts, it doesn't matter.  It also can be at any random moment from rotating the model to adding a constraint to saving.  It doesn't seem to have any real pattern it just seems to happen all the time.

Has anyone experienced this?  I did a lot searching but found no good answers,  Thanks in advance.

Computer Specs

Dell M6700 Mobile Workstation

Intel i7-3840QM CPU

Invidia Quadro K5000M

32GB RAM

Crucial M500 SSD

3DConnexion Space Explorer

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
mcgyvr
in reply to: mmaes

Are you working on files over a network?

I'd bet you are.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 14
mmaes
in reply to: mcgyvr

Yes.

Message 4 of 14
mcgyvr

We have basiaclly determined that our "network" just can't handle stuff as fast as it needs to.

I'm looking into either using Vault so that I'm working with local files or setting up a server just for our caddrawings.

It just seems that there is enough traffic on the network that stuff like Inventor just has to "wait" sometimes.

The other day our IT guy was copying a bunch of files and it literelly brought Inventor to its knees and when I went and complained they just said "well the server is only using x amount of memory and x amount of cpu..blah..blah" but I said can you please put a hold on what you are doing and the performance of Inventor was immediately back to where it should be.. So he did a bit more testing and determined its basically just "network/switch/router" related delays,etc...

So the moral of the story is bug IT till they can fix it or improve it or use vault or just try copying your files locally and working for a bit and see if its better.

Of course it could be any of a million other things (out of date drivers,etc...) but the "not responding" to me signifies that Inventor is just waiting for data on the network and it can't deliver fast enough.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 14
mmaes
in reply to: mcgyvr

Well, we do use Vault but I open and gather files from Vault so even though we have a lot of the files locally we still pull/open all files from the server.  This way each user is always using the most current files.

To me it just seems like once the file is downloaded from the server to my local drive I should have a powerful enough computer not to experience 2-3 minutes of lag from simple commands such as adding a mate constraint to two parts.

I do appreciate the input I am just unsure if that is the cause/issue in this particular case.

Message 6 of 14
Cadmanto

We use vault and when we check files out we are working on our local drive.

I/we get the "Not Responding" all the time.  I slips in and out of it.  I just sit and wait for it to regain consciousness.

It is a pain at times, a specially with larger files.  We are stuck with our PC's just the way they are for now.  Mainly because according to our IT department, upgrading is not high on the priority list.  Uugghh!!!  Smiley Frustrated

It is what it is I guess.  The good news is while it is not responding, I can post on this forum.  Smiley LOL

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 7 of 14
mmaes
in reply to: Cadmanto

Haha, I hear ya...only problem is I complained to IT and actually got a brand new computer with 32gb Ram, nice processor, ssd, and video card.  It seems crazy that this is happening.  My home computer never has this issue and I can't figure out why.  The main difference I see with my home computer is it has a Nvidia GeForce card and a slightly better processor and my work computer uses a Quadro card

Message 8 of 14
Cadmanto

I am not that lucky to this point.  I would agree that this should not be happening.  The only time I really see it is either I have a lot of files opened and Inventor is maxed or the files are large.

We have a joke on my department.  Everytime there is an unexplainable Inventor situation we always say "Oh, it's an Inventor thing".  We got that from our VAR, because when we first started using Inventor/Vault and these types of situations came up.  You know, the ones that have no real explaination?  That is what our VAR would say.  So we adpoted it as well.  Smiley Very Happy  So feel free to use it yourself.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 9 of 14
mmaes
in reply to: Cadmanto

haha, we do use that one...and typically if there is something no one has an answer too someone will chime in "did you try shutting Inventor down and restarting?".  Gotta love it.

Message 10 of 14
mrattray

Do an experiment and try working off of your hard drive for a day.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 11 of 14
mmaes
in reply to: mrattray

I would also like to point out that I am pulling 8.5-9gb of RAM just idling with a small 20 part assembly open.

8-7-2013 3-36-23 PM.png

Message 12 of 14
dgorsman
in reply to: mrattray

Also, have IT scrounge up some diagnostic tools so you can see where the delays are actually coming from e.g. including LNK shortcuts when its enumerating sub-folders in a folder even though the target is invalid.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 13 of 14
Ajcraig99
in reply to: dgorsman

Can you give some example software to best monitor this, im having the same issue, cpu, hdd ram and network are barely being used yet inventor is not responding.

Message 14 of 14
JDMather

@mmaes wrote:
3DConnexion Space Explorer

I have you tried working with the Space Explorer unplugged.

We have multiple labs of 26 identical computers.

You know from your home computer that what you see at work isn't normal.

One thing we have found in our labs of identical computers that when a problem appears with one of them it is sometimes the 3D Connexion Device.  We have learned from experience to go into the 3D Connexion Control Panel each morning and click Calibrate.  This can take care of the slowness problem if it is the Space Navigator causing the problem.  Make sure there is nothing resting against the puck overnight.  It takes a long time for the Navigator to return to a steady state condition.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report