Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer freezes when opening .ipt file

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Bob943
2093 Views, 9 Replies

Computer freezes when opening .ipt file

So, I just became a part of the Student Community here, and downloaded Inventor Pro.  I actually had some problems right off the bat: some kb971153 file was missing, so I had to find a hotfix from MS and install it before it would let me install Inventor.

Anyway, I opened up Inventor, and found that within seconds of loading up a new .ipt file, my computer would freeze.  I can confirm that ctrl+alt+del, mashing several other buttons in frustration, and thinking of creative ways to use four-letter words to describe the situation don't work.  As far as I can tell, .dwg files work just fine, it's just the .ipt ones that are kick my blood pressure up a notch.  

If I remember correctly, the hotfix had to do with individual licensing or something, so it shouldn't be the cause right?  Everything else on the computer works just fine; if I downloaded the wrong fix or something, I figure I'd see some problems with the computer overall.  So I'm lost.  Maybe it has to do with the stuff the .ipt file is trying to load or access but, either way, it's causing me to have to turn my computer via power button, something I'd rather avoid. 

Am I doomed to never live life in 3D?  I turn to you, Autodesk community, in my darkest hour.  Well, not quite, but it's still an annoying problem.  

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
blair
in reply to: Bob943

More system & version information would help.

Did you follow all the installation prerequisites?

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 10
Dennis_Jeffrey

Recommended install instructions:

http://teknigroup.com/support/InstallAdsksoftware.html

System informatin helps:

http://teknigroup.com/support/Inventor/Howto.html

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 4 of 10
Bob943
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

@Dennis_Jeffrey wrote:

Recommended install instructions:

http://teknigroup.com/support/InstallAdsksoftware.html

System informatin helps:

http://teknigroup.com/support/Inventor/Howto.html

@Sorry 'bout that.  I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit) SP2 on a computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 @ 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, and an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 graphics card.  Excel, Flash, and Internet Explorer all meet the specs.  My antivirus software is Avast version 110642-0.  The problem occurs regardless of what programs I have open- once I had Google Chrome open alongside Inventor 2012 and the other time, I had nothing else open.  

Since I'm running Vista, I had to use Microsoft Vista Hotfix KB971138 in order to install the software.  I hope I installed the right one, otherwise I guess that would be an issue.  I hope the graphics card is adequate, because replacing it will be a little tough on a laptop.

The first time it froze, I went into the standard.ipt type file and just drew a rectangle.  The second time, I clicked one of the commands - trim I think, I can't remember for sure - and it froze.  After the usual ctrl+alt+del, I just left it alone, but it never "unfroze" (thawed, I guess).  The computer doesn't experience issues ofany kind otherwise.  

Message 5 of 10
Dennis_Jeffrey

In Vista, did you turn the UAC and Defender off and disable your Avast completely before installing?

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 6 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! The Vista hot fix KB971138 is a must to install Inventor R2012. The crashing behavior you are seeing is likely graphcis related. I suspect the graphics card might not have enough memory processing Inventor graphics. Could you try making the following change and see if it works better for you?

Start Inventor.

Go to Tools -> Application Options -> Hardware -> select Compatibility and check Software graphics option.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 10
Bob943
in reply to: johnsonshiue

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi! The Vista hot fix KB971138 is a must to install Inventor R2012. The crashing behavior you are seeing is likely graphcis related. I suspect the graphics card might not have enough memory processing Inventor graphics. Could you try making the following change and see if it works better for you?

Start Inventor.

Go to Tools -> Application Options -> Hardware -> select Compatibility and check Software graphics option.

Thanks!

Yep, it looks like you're right.  I put it in Compatibility mode and checked Software Graphics as well, and now the program isn't crashing anymore.  But I did just get an error message: "trying to allocate 96 bytes".  And now that I'm able to use the program a little, it's apparent that there's quite a bit of slowdown.  Do you think an older version of Inventor, like Inventor 2010 would work better?  It's not a necessity that I use 2012, I just figured I'd get the latest and greatest (without checking recommended specs) as long as I was going to be downloading the software.  

And thanks to both of you for your help!  I've never posted in a community like this, so I wasn't sure what to expect.  

Message 8 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! You can try and see if R2010 works better on your machine. But, clearly the behavior you are seeing indicates the hardware (graphics card/memory/CPU) you have may not be optimized to run Inventor.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 10
terpsurfer

Ah! I exit the startup box to be able to access the "tools" and it still shuts down! Extremely Frustrating! 

Message 10 of 10
blair

You would be better off starting a new post/thread and not one that is 1 1/2 years old and has been flagged as solved.

System information/spec's would be nice, version of Inventor would help. If this is a new installation, did you follow all the prerequisites, Admin privileges, UAC slider set to lowest setting.

Are you opening the file from within the Inventor open-file dialogue box?

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report