Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Component Pattern

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
erikgraham2507
2415 Views, 17 Replies

Component Pattern

To be able to folderize component patterns seems to have been surpassed once again in release 2012. However, I am wondering if this is a setting issue yet I cannot find settings for what can and cannot be placed in folders, if they exist. And I wonder if it is a setting issue because during a training class I visibly watched the trainer place component patterns into a folder and once I still cannot do so. Any ideas out there?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
JDMather
in reply to: erikgraham2507

Did you RMB create the folder first?
I just made sure and it was trivially easy to create folder and drag pattern to the folder.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 18
kmeldfreyssinet
in reply to: JDMather

Hi,

I had the same problem. I was unable to put component patterns in folders. Finaly I quit trying.

But since you say this is easy. Could you post file with pattern in folder?

Personaly I was trying quite long to do this.

Also I tried to promote pattern of components to new assembly. I also faild to do so. Is that perhaps also possible in som way?

Cris.

Message 4 of 18
JDMather
in reply to: kmeldfreyssinet

@kmeldfreyssinet wrote:

But since you say this is easy. Could you post file with pattern in folder?

It is meaningless if it works in my assembly but not yours - attach your assembly here and I'll see why it doesn't work in your assembly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 18

Watch this....   Inventor 2011 SP2:

http://teknigroup.com/Videos/2012Q2/pattern-in-folder/pattern-in-folder.html

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 6 of 18

Hi,

nice movie. misleading howewer, in my opinion.

I was to post zip with packed part of project but it is to big for forum. I can send this by mail.

But I did try what the movi schows and this I found out. 

There are 4 patterns. I would like to put them in to the folder "belki szalunku" I managed to put one patern in to this folder but after I can not move folder on the list.

So it schould be put this way:

It is in SOME CASES true one can put patterns into folders. This is only possible if folder is belowe pattern on the tree. After putting patern into folder one can no longer position folder in the tree.

So it realy dose not work properly.

Cris

Message 7 of 18
erikgraham2507
in reply to: JDMather

I have created the folder first and tried to drag and drop and no success. I have also highlighted the pattern(s) right clicked and created a folder on the fly and one time I was able to get one component pattern in a folder but could not add any too it which has occurred to me numerous times before this post and before my last post about this issue. You would think it wouldn't be this trvial. Drag and drop. Even during a short introduction to 2012 by cetifiied testing center associates showed me right then and there when I asked if this issue had been corrected and he dragged and dropped the pattern as you would any part to a folder.

Message 8 of 18
mcgyvr

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/A-short-letter-from-a-component-pattern/m-p/2821634/...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 18
erikgraham2507
in reply to: mcgyvr

mcgyvr,

Thanks. I have been waiting for something like that for a long time as to why. Now it makes sense, but unfortunately most of the stuff I am working with will already have been "ordered" long before I start to work with it which will always make this a simple headache.

Message 10 of 18
mcgyvr

I can't stand it.. That is my ONLY wish for 2013.. Fix this crap.

There have been times that I avoided a component pattern (which would have saved me tons of time) just because I know I will be bit by the component pattern/folder limitations.

I bet that the simple fact that Autodesk hasn't fixed these limitations costs me over 100 hours of extra work per year. Of course it's my decision to place everything into browser folders and I don't have to do that. But I do.. Saves me more time later trying to find stuff. Folders are GREAT.. But limitations on what can/can't be reordered SUCKS.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 11 of 18
lkrenzler

****, it's 2014 and it seems this still hasn't been fixed...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inventor Pro 2019 - Win. 10 - GeForce GTX 1080 .
Message 12 of 18
kmeldfreyssinet
in reply to: lkrenzler

Hi,

yes It still was not fixed in AI 2014.
As well as other annoying bugs that ware presend and reported for AI 2012.

It is rather hard to understend logic of Autodesk in not fixing this small annoying things, It should not be such a big effort afterall.

Or is it?

Could someone form Autodesk Support explain to us this matter on formum.

Cris?

Message 13 of 18
mcgyvr
in reply to: kmeldfreyssinet

Its not technically a bug. Its just typical Autodesk "half finished" functionality.. It more than likely will never be fixed unless enough people complain about it or its kudo'd enough in the ideastation.. I'll add it to the ideastation later.. and include my cute story too..

Message 14 of 18
SoulAsasin

Hey all,

After reading a bit I found a little workaround on this issue.

You can drag and drop patterns into folders! The problem is that you cannot reorder it (move the pattern in the browser). So take the next browser exampel.

You have:

pattern 1

part:1

part:2

folder:1

You cannot move directly the pattern into the folder, because you have to "jump" part:1 and 2. what i did is dragged the folder next to the part (upper to it or lower it dosent matter) and after that drag and drop works again.

the problem whit this is that you cannot move the folder anymore after that :)). but if you pay attention on the order of creating your patterns and folders. it is workable.

Hope this helps....

Inventor 2012
Win 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5400
Intel Xeon 2,5 GHz
8 Gb RAM
NVIDIA Quadro Fx 3700
Message 15 of 18

Hi,

Thank you SoulAsasin for your effort.

I have to say that solution you propose, however usable in some cases, can not probably be used by most users. For example in my case assemblies include many patterns and parts, and during design process some of them are deleted, created again, edited, changed, replaced, deleted and placed again. So structure of assembly that inventor creates automatically during this operations is not at all suitable for proposed solution.

Personally I am using AI 2014.

Can someone tell if in AI 2015 at least some of this issues ware fixed finally?

Maybe someone from Autodesk could tell?

Cris.

Message 16 of 18
lkrenzler

I agree completely with everything mcgyvr said.  I fight with this every day.  It's stupid beyond belief and there's no excuse for it. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inventor Pro 2019 - Win. 10 - GeForce GTX 1080 .
Message 17 of 18

Just started using Inventor 2018. Guess what, still not fixed. It's about time that Autodesk have woke up. 

Message 18 of 18
mcgyvr
in reply to: Graham.Skinner

@Graham.Skinner

Graham (and anyone else reading this) please go here and "vote up" this idea (to correct/fix this limitation)..

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/fix-browser-folder-quot-limitations-quot-with-componen...

Due to its "lower" vote count Autodesk is not prioritizing this issue high enough..

Only when the "votes" get up there will it be on the Autodesk radar...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report