Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining pipe lengths in bom/parts list

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
charles
3071 Views, 11 Replies

Combining pipe lengths in bom/parts list

Hi all!

I was told there is a way to combine the lengths of the same spec pipe you use in an assembly, all pipes I use is from the content centre and I just can't seem to find how to make it one pipe with the length of all the pipes added together in the parts list.

Any help would really be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
blair
in reply to: charles

Inventor will add up the totals for each file used from CC. If the file is 12" long and is used 10 times in the IAM then it will add up to 120". It must be the same file not type of item. RMB on the BOM and slect Edit Parts List, upper LH icon is the Colum Chooser. It will allow you to add the columns you need as done below.Capture1.JPGot the type of material.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 12
charles
in reply to: blair

Thank you blair,

I got that sorted. Just one more thing, if i have three of the same type of item (not the same file) but with different lengths(QTY'S) how would I get that into 'one'?

If even possible?(see attached)

Thanks again for your help I really appreciate it.

Message 4 of 12
cbenner
in reply to: charles

BOM rolls parts up by Part Number and only by Part Number (hoping that will change some day).   Since your length is in your part number, I would suggest editing the family table in the CC, and removing the length form Part Number.  That way all parts of that spec will be placed with the value of Part Number the same.  BOM will allow them to roll up when you use "Merge by Part Number", and the length parameters SHOULD add up in your QTY column.  Should.

bom.JPG

Our part numbers are actually the stock number for that pipe spec... but the theory is the same.  note I have a unit qty shown as well as a total length for each size pipe.

Message 5 of 12
erikbrockhoff
in reply to: cbenner

I have my items merged but how do you get the QYT colunm to populate with the linear ft of pipe?  Do you have to call a varrible in the pipe part somewhere?  Right now all it shows the quatity or number of segments of pipe. 

Message 6 of 12
RobJV
in reply to: erikbrockhoff

Is it possible you are using the wrong QTY variable?  That sounds like "ITEM QTY" and not "QTY".  (There are also "BASE QTY" and "UNIT QTY".)

Message 7 of 12
cbenner
in reply to: RobJV

I agree with Rob.  In your BOM, play around with the different "QTY" types, until you get the results you are looking for.  I can't recall at the moment which one gives you the linear qty.

Message 8 of 12
jeffrey.jansenUCRHS

Is it possible to do this the other way around. I for instance have a part which is an universel size for all the different types. I used two of them in the same model where they are supposed to represent two different types, but in my parts list it shows as one item (obviously). Can I separate the two in the bom structure or should I make a new save for each of the different types and replace them in my model?

Thank you in advance.

Message 9 of 12
blair

Like this?

Capture.JPG

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 12
blair

Use these items in the BOM Column Chooser.

Capture.JPG

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 12
jeffrey.jansenUCRHS

If I understand it correctly, that is indeed what I meant. I am not able to find a way to edit the part number for only of the same part. Or is that something I should do when I first place the part (I don't think that is the most efficient way of doing things.)

Message 12 of 12
blair
in reply to: jeffrey.jansenUCRHS

It uses the description field for rolling up the lengths. For any C-C items we use, we always use the Custom radio button and give it a new file name that matches our assembly and will be used in our ERP system. For items that are in Frame-Gen, each one gets it's unique file name, until you use the "Re-Use" members function.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums