Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colors Don't Update in IPN

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
Anonymous
995 Views, 28 Replies

Colors Don't Update in IPN

How do you get the colors of parts in an exploded IPN to update to match how they look in the IAM file? For example brass looking parts (brass material also) were changed to aluminum in the IAM file. But in my exploded IPN the parts still look like brass. Gary
28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You can change them in the part and they will update in ipn.

It seems as though ipn's don't update with the design view they were created from. You can select a design vew rep. when creating ipn but you cannot change it once it is placed.
:(
Message 3 of 29
Anonymous

The IPN really should represent the Assembly colors shown in the IAM the IPN is not the part colors. Too bad, that's a serious flaw for our work. Parts could be many different colors depending on which assembly they are in. Typically, I do not color the part beyond it's raw material (brass steel Aluminum since it may be used in many different projects with different finishes (colors). I hope there is more control over IPN's in R10. Gary
Message 4 of 29
Anonymous

You can change the color of a part in the ipn.
I know this is not the answer your looking for.

Seems the 10 demo I seen there was some improvement in this area. Don't quote me on this though.
Message 5 of 29
Anonymous

How do you change the part color from within an IPN??? "orchdes" wrote in message news:19755350.1112099462089.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > You can change the color of a part in the ipn.
Message 6 of 29
Anonymous

Select a part in the ipn and pick the color in your tool bar at the top.
Message 7 of 29
Anonymous

I have a very similar problem to this. I have an IAM, IPN, and IDW file. I don't have any design views. I changed the colours in the IAM file, and the IPN updated as it should. But when I got to the IAM file, it was still the origional colours. Why won't it update??

Troy
Message 8 of 29
Anonymous

Are there any takers on this??
Message 9 of 29
Anonymous

What happens if you hit the lighting bolt in the IDW?

K Johnson
Message 10 of 29
Anonymous

Do you mean go back to the iam?
Is this after saving, getting out and opening again?
Message 11 of 29
Anonymous

Troy

I had this exact problem in IV9. I was told to wait and see what IV10 had in store for me (oh goody goody), and also how to log this as a bug. BIG HELP! I had to COMPLETELY redo the IPN and IDW. Sorry, Troy, I doubt if there's any help coming soon even with IV10 (I am assuming you're using 10?) I haven't actually tried it myself in 10. Call me crazy, but I don't need to look for ways to waste time with Inventor, they seem to happen all on their own!

Scott - IV10
Message 12 of 29
Anonymous

No lightening bolt Kathy
Message 13 of 29
Anonymous

Even tried rebooting Inventor, nothing. I can even bring in the the ipn into the idw and it is still the same.
Message 14 of 29
Anonymous

No this is on 9, I cannot implement 10 until we see sp1 (and hopefully they fix what I need fixed).
Message 15 of 29
Anonymous

Troy,

I think your are confusing people here because you questions stated going back into the iam. I believe what you are referring to is the color updating in the idw, right?

That being the case I have had to resort to remaking the view to get it sink again. Does not come up very often but it is a pain.
Message 16 of 29
Anonymous

Sorry if I was confusing people. But yes the Colours are not updating in the idw. I did try something similar although I did not delete the ipn out of the idw, I simply brought it in again, but it was still the same. Shouldn't the one I bring in for the second time have the right colours. It even shows the right colours in the view orientation display.

Or have you had to recreate the entire idw??
Message 17 of 29
Anonymous

Troy

When I ran into this, it was in IV9 as well. Whether I deleted the view, inserted a new one, even started a brand new IDW, the old colours came back. ONLY in the IDW, though, they were correct in the IPT, the IAM, and the IPN, just not in the IDW. I'm sorry to say it, but re-doing the whole friggin thing was the only out for me (re-creating the IPN and IDW).

But, for me, I was lucky. It only happened in with an assembly of a couply hundred parts. Only took me a day to redo this! (Sorry, I'm trying to be optimistic, but it ain't working...)
Message 18 of 29
Anonymous

So it sounds like you didn't send a dataset into Autodesk then.

Is there someone from Autodesk that would like to look at this??
Message 19 of 29
Anonymous

Troy,

I know it's a workaround and a pain but, have you tried changing the colors in the ipn?
Message 20 of 29
Anonymous

Yes I have, and it has no influence on the idw.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report