Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Classic menu in Inventor 2013

98 REPLIES 98
Message 1 of 99
timo.puska
3788 Views, 98 Replies

Classic menu in Inventor 2013

Hello,

is it possible to activate classic menu in Inventor 2013?

As in 2012 it can be done by editing registry.

-timo

98 REPLIES 98
Message 81 of 99
dan_inv09
in reply to: Ian4

The snippet from Wikipedia on the Google results of a search for "Ribbon Interface":

"Among experienced users, nearly 80% "dislike" or "hate" the new interface"

Looking into the "Ribbon (computing)" Wikipedia entry, there is hope: "Microsoft Office 2011 for the Macintosh, while employing the ribbon, also retains the menu system in the Mac menu bar." So if only Autodesk would make a version of Inventor for Macs . . .

Message 82 of 99
jletcher
in reply to: dan_inv09

Not only did they screw up the best Interface (classic) but they scewed up the help also.

This is the 1st time looking onto the help for heck since Inventor 6 I have to say I cant find nothing without a whole lot of pain....

Really Autodesk why you was doing so good and then bam all screwed up.

What happen did some solid works guy come start working for you if so fire him and lets get back on track.

I think I will start a complaint blog seeing Autodesk will not fix anything maybe when people read my blog and stop buying Inventor maybe then they will get back on track...

Message 83 of 99
dan_inv09
in reply to: jletcher

These days decision makers for a company like AutoDesk are driven by profit and loss only as far as it affects Stock Price (or more specifically - Stock Options).

We're just the schmucks that have to use the product, and if you also happen to do the purchasing, then you definitely aren't big enough to affect Wall Street.

Now if you could get your blog noticed by Fund Managers . . .

Message 84 of 99
jletcher

Fund managers hum that can happen Smiley Wink

Message 85 of 99
mrattray

This is exactly the kind of thinking (AutoDesk's, that is) that's destroying America.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 86 of 99
jletcher
in reply to: mrattray

I agree with you on that one there.. Wall street needs to be shut down with congress next..

Message 87 of 99
Rich.O.3d

hated the ribbon (to start with)...hated tool buttons with a mouse instead of a digitizer (to start with)...hated early 2d cad instead of the drawing board (to start with)...are you seeing the pattern

I soon learnt the new ways and havent looked back since

now i love the ribbon and find when i go to help other users that insist on using the old cclassic menus, that half the command and right click options arent there and things take a lot longer to do

CAD Management 101:
You can do it your own way,
If its done just how I say!
[Metallica:And Justice For All:1988]
Message 88 of 99
Ian4
in reply to: timo.puska

are you able to customize panels ? i.e. undock them and then pull off icons I don't use ?

thanks

Message 89 of 99

If they don't give us an option for the classic clear, clean interface in the next release, I'm biting the bullet, jumping ship, and switching our office over to solidworks.

The "ribbon", not to mention all the other cluttered schizophrenic UI garbage they keep piling on, makes this once beautiful, simple program an impossible waste of time to muddle through.

Quit wasting display real estate, and get rid of the scattered fragmented crap, Autodesk.

Maximize the drawing space, not toolbar/menu space

Do not cover the objects in the drawing

uniformly-sized icons in a row

If you're showing us options for something, show us all the options, don't hide some of them

Put dialogue boxes back together, wherever the user moves one to, have them all open in that location

Get that buzzing swarm of mosquitos off the cursor

Message 90 of 99

flyingsuperpetis,

Have you tried adjusting the Ribbon and Interface to appear more like you are describing?  There are settings there right now to help you with this.

Run the Ribbon in Compact Mode (Right click on it and choose Ribbon Appearance)

Turn off the Marking Menu (View Tab --> Windows Panel --> User Interface Pulldown ; uncheck the Marking Menu)

Granted you will have turned off a lot of great functionality with the Marking Menu, but if thats what you want...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 91 of 99
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: mflayler2

switching a whole office over to another package... or...learn how to use a simple and intuative menu system

hmmmmm....tough choice...lol

good luck with your solidnotworks solution...let us know how you go...ps I have both AutoCAD Product design suite and solidworks loaded in the current office im running...the guy on solidworks is not very productive and it causes a lot of compatibility issues with autocad (have to keep reinstal repairing autocad for him most times solidworks gets run), not to mention make sure you keep your subscription to solidworks paid up (wow on the extra dollars your gonna spend, have you priced soldiworks with all the components required to actually complete designs) as without a paid up sub you wont have access to service packs or updates to fix the issues and if you try moving SW to a new machine, you will be stuck with the original install off the disc as you wont be able to acces the updates.

CAD Management 101:
Message 92 of 99
Mark_Wigan

i have worked with some very capable operators over the years and in the end i see that we all have our own methods, whether it is drafting or engineering or other. to me it is the kinda the same with the interface, some just like one over the other, regardless of skill level or training.

i am reasonably happy to use either but sadly now it just takes longer, not because the ribbon is bad, but because it is mostly locked down. even with comparitively greater power of software development tools and technology at the disposal of the developers today, we can not even slide a silly little button over to a different / preferred location... (if we wish to click to fire the command then we are forced to switch to a different tab, just to access another button, and then another click or two to get another command). we did not have this limitation a few years ago. why force people to use buttons in locations where 'someone' thinks they need to go.

i really think that all we need is for Autodesk to assign a dedicated resource to the topic, just for a month and get a bit of improved functionality pushed into the interface. (there is a post in the Ideas Station about that. if you get time maybe you could swing over there and vote for it, maybe even add your own idea for improvements).

ps- on the topic of improvements, i can see that there are a few in 2014. it is nice to see things improve. Well done to AD.  Apart from a couple of silly things that seem to have slipped through, the product seems very stable to me and i can get my work done very well even without a service pack. i have sometimes been quite harsh in my comments to AD so i think it is fair to give appreciation when it is due.

same goes for everyone who is still posting here. thanks again. keep up the good work. we can sometimes be a bit harsh on each other but lots of you have helped me and so many others. cheers!

ok back to work now...

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 93 of 99
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

Hi Mark,

You CAN customise the ribbon, you can add commands, tabs panels or remove buttons, relocate them onto different tabs, relocate panels on the tabs, create your own buttons with macros in them etc etc you have the exact same freedom that you have with making tool bars.

type CUI then have a play, when working in plant the first customization I did was add the visibilty panel to the structure and modeling tabs and relocate them to the same location for each tab.

Nice to hear a plug for a change, we all (myself included) seem to get a bit frustrated with the program at times and I know ive 'unloaded' about issues plenty of times. I havent bitten the bullet and isntalled 2014 yet (been too busy with deadlines) but I remeber your views about new releases and how diligent you are with your deisgns and methedologies. So after hearing your feedback im gonna jump in asap.

Cheers

Rich.O

CAD Management 101:
Message 94 of 99
Ray_Feiler
in reply to: Rich.O.3d

? CUI ? Inventor ? Smiley Indifferent

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 95 of 99
Mark_Wigan

hi Richard i hope you are well.

thanks,  we should get together one day & compare notes. i have done a fair bit of customisation and programming but still find a lot of limitations. it would be good to bounce some ideas off one another!

i am really enjoying 2014, but if you use any of the API then there is a small fix you need to do before you can access it (install english language pack manually from the installation files). that is so far the only issue i have come accross. there is a small post in here somewhere i think from about 2 weeks ago.

cheers.

...nice sig.

best regards,
- Mark

Message 96 of 99
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: Ray_Feiler

lol...what a twit

Ive been using plant pretty heavily for last couple of years, got carried away with myself

just looked back at customize in inventor...not impressed

I remeber there was german guy that had a blog about customizing the inventor files that drive ribbon, from memory it was pretty complicated

CAD Management 101:
Message 97 of 99
Rich.O.3d
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

sure Mark, should organise a hook up with Baz too, its been a while

R u going to the cadgroup autodesk launch event thing later in the month?

CAD Management 101:
Message 98 of 99
Mark_Wigan

Rich,

i wasn't planning on it but if you and the lads are going then i will show up if they have beer and pizza.

best regards,
- Mark

Message 99 of 99
MaxamAust

Hi Rich,

Dassault is actually dropping solidworks & moving to a form of CATIA light.The Parasolid kernel is out of date & CATIA engine is a much better performer.

Cheers Luke
Sorry for using the 'D' work too AD 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report