Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Classic menu in Inventor 2013

98 REPLIES 98
Message 1 of 99
timo.puska
3786 Views, 98 Replies

Classic menu in Inventor 2013

Hello,

is it possible to activate classic menu in Inventor 2013?

As in 2012 it can be done by editing registry.

-timo

98 REPLIES 98
Message 21 of 99
IgorMir
in reply to: Vlad.Makarov

Yeah, especially if those new users are Microsoft Office veterans! LOL!

Best Regards,

Igor.

@Vlad.Makarov wrote:

Speaking from experience, you can switch with the hack but you will discover many bugs. The ribbon has magical properties & immediately transforms new users into modeling veterans. (According to what I keep hearing.)

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 22 of 99
timo.puska
in reply to: timo.puska

Hi,

thank's for all replies!!

Could someone who has 2013 look at registry and tell me if the hack is there?

I may have read post negligently byt I didn't find watertight answer.

If there isn't, we will continue with 2012. I think that many others do the same.

I like to have user interface where all commands are "on fingertips" like

they have been in Windows long time. I happily use Office 2003 and liked

to have same interface in other programs too. I'm not a player who wants

to click everything that can be clicked. Program development is a good thing,

but if something works good why must we change it just due to change.

Autodesk should pay attention to it that Inventor is a tool to make real work.

Some persons in our company have struggled with the ribbon guite a long time and

I haven't heard anyone to praise it.

I have noticed that Autodesk is strongly tethered with Microsoft. One example is

very slooowww Vault. Why can't some "real database" be used instead SQL Server?

-timo

Message 23 of 99
jletcher
in reply to: mflayler2

I could sit here and disagree with you all day but why? I know for a fact that IMAGINiT or Autodesk have no clue. I know this because if it was not for me you both would have lost about 43 seats of Inventor. Not IMAGINiT or Autodesk could get my clients running. They paid you to come in and fix them but IMAGINiT could not and Autodesk could not. I was the last hope and they was not happy spending all this money and the people that sold them the software and the people that developed the software had no clue on how to set up Inventor for the client.

So you stay with your un-productive ribbon and I will figure a way around it..

And don't get me wrong up untill now If ask what software to use Inventor would have been the one now I ask what are you using now they say Autocad. I tell them to stay with it and don't upgrade Autodesk has lost the way.

Autodesk was the leader in cad software now they chase others just like you said everyone else went to the ribbon thats why they did it.. But see Autodesk was the only one I would tell people is the most productive software out there and if you want to go to Inventor it is easy to learn. But not now.

Good luck at IMAGINiT my friend they are a good company but have no clue..........

Message 24 of 99
jletcher
in reply to: jletcher

Oh one more thing Mark. This 2013 is the 1st release that they cannot go back to classic and seeing that the SP1 has not come out yet a lot of people have not upgraded yet. And all I see posted is where is my classic. Now when SP1 comes out and more and more load it this discussion will be the biggest or the most re-threaded post.

Just look they found a hack to get classic back in 2012 thats how much we all loved it. And I will find a way  keep my classic in 2013 if I ever upgrade again. Right now I will stay with my hacked 2012 Classic. 2013 can stay on the shelf..

Message 25 of 99
Ray_Feiler

Have you tried customizing the Ribbon and Marking Menu?

See

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/1310-Autodesk1310/1364-Fundamen1364/1365-User_In...

For Ribbon customization

See

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/1310-Autodesk1310/1364-Fundamen1364/1416-Modelin...

For Marking menu customization.

For 2012 see http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2012/Help/0073-Autodesk73/0285-Work_Env285/0303-Customiz30...

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 26 of 99
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

Just look they found a hack to get classic back in 2012

Thank Autodesk for that.. They left the registry setting in there. Its not a "hack" where some classic UI lover rewrote the code or something..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 27 of 99
mflayler2

I did just try the registry edit in 2013.  The registry key for InterfaceStyle was not there so I created the registry key and tested it.  In 2013, the Classic Menu is officially gone (at least with that registry edit).

To the notion that users didn't have a say in the interface...well they did, you just didn't notice it.  The Autodesk CIP data that is sent to Autodesk over Inventor 2010 and 2011 contain not only what commands were commonly used but also what interface style was in use.  Now you could argue that this is weighted based on the fact the Ribbon is the default and you have to enable the classic through application options it still stands that far less users used the Classic interface or perhaps were not yet on the 2010 and 2011.

One of the other large reasons why they did this as well was for similar program feel.  For instance, I picked up Navisworks to do some Factory collision work for a client and was able to negotiate the interface far better than the last time I tried it before the Ribbon was added to the software.  Once you are used to it, it does make the learning processes easier for different programs much like the way the traditional pull downs and menu systems worked before Office 2007.  In the end the majority of users are off of 2003 Office and newer, younger users haven't even seen Office 2003.  I do find users learn this way much faster now than with the tradtional pull downs, but for seasoned users or users not upgrading business software regularly (don't get me started on the lack of upgrades for engineers for hardware), it is a steeper learning curve.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 28 of 99
IgorMir

Hi Mark,

I don't think the comparison between Office and Inventor Ribbon interface is fair somewhat. Let's have a look at Microsoft Word, for example. How often do you have to use different tools from the Ribbon while writing a letter? Not often, really. The main source of input is a key board anyway.

With the Inventor it is a different story. We use a lot of different tools all the time. Plus - the real estate of the screen is at premium (unlike in the Word document where you set your zoom factor once and most likely won't change it for the duration of work). Hence any extra room taken off the screen by "ribbon enhancements" taxes operator's performance rather heavily. Not to mention all the travels you have to do to reach to the tools you need. I have been watching once a demonstration on making a part in Inventor. The traveling of the cursor over the screen to select the needed tools from the Ribbon was obscene!

My take on it - Ribbon is a step backward in Inventor. I have made this point at each and every research run by Autodesk. Will we see any difference? I don't know.

Best Regards,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 29 of 99
timo.puska
in reply to: Ray_Feiler

Why should I customize something. The classic interface is very handy and usable without customization.

I teach Inventor to our employers and I like to have congruent interface for all. Could Autodesk listen

to program users and give chance to select between interfaces. We are trying to make productive job

with this program! We do not need glitter and bells and whistles but we need clear environment to work with.

Message 30 of 99
Ray_Feiler

You don't have to, but you can if you want to. I'll agree that Autodesk should just leave it as an option. After all you can still have tool bars in AutoCAD.

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 31 of 99
jletcher

How do you know they learn it faster You said you did not start teaching till after the new interface so if you never trained anyong with the classic you cannot tell me its faster... I know have trained with classic and have trained with the ribbon. After a week of the client trying to remember what tab for what command I then showed them the classic and they all was up to speed in one day.

So I am sorry but you are way wrong on that on...

Just put it back let me pick the way I work. I should not be forced to use such an unproductive interface...

Message 32 of 99
mflayler2

I mentioned I used from R4 to R11 before I joined so I did work with R11 to 2010 and had plenty of experience teaching both interfaces to a large amount of new users.  It was rare even then with 2010 and newer Inventor finding users that had never seen that type of interface before in another software so it wasn't that hard for them to pick up.

If you want it to be added back to 2013 as an edit, start up a petition.  That will be possibly the only way at this point.  They have added a lot of functionality to the Ribbon, just needs a little more push to get it where I think it needs to be.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 33 of 99
jletcher

Mark said:

They have added a lot of functionality to the Ribbon, just needs a little more push to get it where I think it needs to be..

you don't matter you are a demo guy and we the users are telling you to keep classic and that is all that should matter to autodesk. Not some demo guy that don't have a clue....

As far as programming two interfaces LOL back when inventor came out the biggest talk was how inventor will be one package software. Will not be like Pro-e everything will be in one. Now we all know that was a lie there are what 7 Inventor packages now?

Sorry just let me keep my classic. Or lose my subscription because there is no way I am upgrading to a time waste ribbon. And I am now telling clients not to upgrade and no on subscription and you may say you are small numbers I control about 50 to 60 seat with the clients I have now so losing 70 to 80 thousand in supscription will not hurt anyone.

Message 34 of 99
mflayler2

We we go with the demo guy stuff again...if you think that is all I do, you are the one without a clue.  You think I demo'd the software for 8 years before I joined a Professional Services Company?

And you would tell users not to upgrade even though they will lose out on something that would seriously benefit them only because of the interface?  Isn't that a little short sighted?  And lets say that you did drop subscription...with the changes to that program, if they did add a new refined interface into the software and you were really into it, then you would have to buy the software from scratch again or up to around 70% of the cost of the software.

And if you understood CIP data and what Autodesk did collect and the ease of use now between interfaces of different products that were refined with the Ribbon (Autodesk Simulation for instance) then you would understand the decision a little better.  CIP data did not support a large number of changing to the classic interface.  When you consider over a million users of the software sometimes the ones most frustrated are the ones that speak out here, but that does not make quorum.

Yes, veteran users feel the pinch.  New younger users do not and actually found to dislike the old interface.  The new users to Inventor are a higher part of the bell curve right now.

Message 35 of 99
jletcher

Ugh Mark if everyone liked it there would be no threads asking for the classic back.

More clicks to me is dollar signs and Autodesk is costing me lots of clicks because of a dumb ribbon a demo guy likes..

Like I said I will not upgrade or tell others to upgrade and yes when my subscription is up I will not renew matter of fact I will see if I can just stop it now.....and get a refund to offset the money I am losing with the extra clicks.

Message 36 of 99
trumpy81

As most of you know, Windows 8 is about to be released, so what you may say, but here's an interesting twist to the whole ribbon/no ribbon debate.

Microsoft has added the ribbon to Windows Explorer (NOT Internet Explorer) and the feedback that Microsoft received about that descision made them re-think the whole thing, so now, when Windows 8 ships, the ribbon in Windows Explorer will be optional.

It will still remain the default 'as installed' option, but users will have the ability to switch it off. A decision I am pleased to hear about as I spend a lot of my time in Windows Explorer and I have tried the new ribbon version and frankly I didn't like it either.

As to which is the better interface, that is highly debatable, and ultimately it comes down to personal preference. But one factor that has not been raised here, is the fact that people in the age group 15-25 are much more receptive and able to adapt to new things in general. People aged from 25-35 are receptive but their abilities to learn and re-learn new things diminishes a little. People in the age group 35-45 remain receptive to a lesser degree and their abilities to learn and re-learn diminish even further. People over 45 are much less receptive to change and their abilities to learn, re-learn are even more reduced.

Just as an aside, a person reaches his/her peak intellect at the age of 23. Just in case you were wondering ... lol

This is something that Microsoft also failed to recognise and based on their research they did not factor in age groups effectively as they tended to focus on the numbers in each age group and did not consider any other factors related to age. They also were unable to effectively gauge the amount of time taken between option selection because this is something that is extremely difficult to measure, given the methods of data collection employed by Microsoft, and is largely dependant on the individual.

So what that means is that Microsoft missed a few valuable points when arriving at their conclusion that the ribbon was the most effective interface.

Having said that, there is good and bad in both interfaces. The ribbon provides an attractive interface with large icons and plenty of space to seperate the various commands. there is also a constant space taken at any given time that reduces the impact of excessive toolbars and the like. However, only approx. 10% of the available commands are displayed at any given time, making it more difficult to recall where certain commands reside, and this does have an impact based on the aforementioned age group scenario.

The traditional interface, provides a much larger number of commands to be visible at any given time, but that also reduces the actual size of the icons, which we all use to recognise one command from another, and in some cases it also reduces the the available workspace. The traditional interface also makes it much more likely that a user will click on an unwanted command, which in itself can be frustrating.

You must also remember that the traditional interface was created at a time when the average screen size was 800x600 pixels, the default screen size when installing WindowsXP.

With Windows Vista and later, the average screen size increased and both Vista and Windows 7 will install the largest screen size available and the ribbon was built to take advantage of that.

So, which is best, ribbon or traditional? It's actually, whatever works best for YOU, the individual.

Should Autodesk bring back the option to switch interfaces, absolutely!

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 37 of 99
jletcher
in reply to: trumpy81

Nice..... And do agree on the age thing. I love to learn new things as long as it don't cost me money and thats what the ribbon has done cost me money...

Very nice again...

Message 38 of 99
jletcher

ok here you go making a sheet metal part with a derived surface.

Start new sheet metal finish sketch look for derived feature oh look its not under sheet metal must click a tab oh there it is under the model tab oh there it is click pick part finish oh look still in model tab now I need sheet metal must clisk tab for sheet metal.

Yeah your right it's faster..........  NOT

2 clicks I never had to do before....

Lets customize............................ done.

See after it is said and done I will have the classic look one way......

Thanks for thinking of the end user Autodesk..............

Message 39 of 99
mflayler2

Well there you go! Simply add it to your Marking Menu for Sheet Metal and you just have to right click right in the graphics screen.

5-31-2012 3-37-20 PM.png

Message 40 of 99
dan_inv09

"automation and consulting projects" is not the same as producing drawing on a deadline

Would you say people who are trying to circumvent the default interface with what may or may not be a registry hack more or less likely to opt into the CIP? Just what percentage of users are actually in the CIP? If participation is voluntary does that "make a quorum"?

Everything fit in the toolbar - now there are a bunch of tabs where what you need is hidden - in Inventor and Office.

If you follow someone who makes a bad decision does that make it a good decision?

If I had the classic interface I would have time to go on.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report