Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to derived parts in 2013?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ad64
1129 Views, 8 Replies

Changes to derived parts in 2013?

Most of my part files contain at least one sketch which is derived from another part file. These derived sketches do not update like they did in our previous versions of Inventor.

If you change the geometry on a sketch in the base component, the updates will flow through to the derived parts. If you add geometry, it also works. However, if you delete any geometry from the sketch in the base part, it will not be deleted in the derived sketches in the second, third, etc. parts. The 'deleted' sketch geometry remains in those parts until you go into all the parts which derive from the base part and manually delete it. This is a significant problem for for our workflow.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there an option I have missed that changes this behavior so that deleted geometry in a sketch will also be deleted in any derived sketches in other parts?

Steve

Inventor 2013

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
falkmassmann
in reply to: ad64

Do you see this behaviour if you update the derived part, incase there is an update pending which I think it should since the base part changed.

What happens if you recreate the whole derived part with the funtion on the management menu?

Should be something like "recreate all", I have german interface.

Cheers Falk

P.S.: Did you migrate your files and do you see the same behaviour with genuine 2013 files?

Message 3 of 9
MikahB

I have seen the same behavior in 2013.  Already uninstalled so I thought maybe it had always been that way and I just forgot, but maybe it is a change.

Mikah Barnett
All Angles Design
Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014
Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5GHz
32GB DDR3-2400 RAM
GeForce GTX 670 4GB
Message 4 of 9
ad64
in reply to: falkmassmann

This behavior is seen even after the part has been refreshed / updated. These files were created in Inventor 2013 and have not been migrated from an earlier release.

This consistently happens when the sketch contains a block. Sometimes it is impossible to delete the geometry because it no longer exists in the original part and "Edit block" is greyed out in the derived part.

Message 5 of 9
Yijiang.Cai

I could reproduce this behavior in R2013 RTM, but not reproducible on R2013 SP1 internal build.

Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com
Message 6 of 9
ad64
in reply to: Yijiang.Cai

I appreciate you looking into this, Yijang. Did you test it both with deriving a sketch and with deriving a block only? I most notice the problem when deriving a block only. The geometry gets left in the derived part even after it is removed from the base part and there is no way to delete it.

Will the service pack that fixes this be released soon?

Message 7 of 9
Yijiang.Cai

Hi Steve,

I have experienced all the cases that you talked below, and it really works fine in internal R2013 SP1 build. For the SP1 release, there will be one SP1 beta release in the coming days.

Thanks,

River

Thanks,
River Cai

Autodesk, Inc.
Message 8 of 9
D.Ponka
in reply to: Yijiang.Cai

I am experiencing this same behaviour in Inventor 2014 SP1 Update 3. This is going to be an problem with the workflow we are attempting to use. Did this issue get fixed in 2013 and then reappear in 2014?

I have a large array of points imported from an excel spreadsheet with XY co-ordinates. This is imported into a sketch. The sketch is then derived into about four different parts in the assembly that use the same locations. Removing points from the sketch does not affect the parts that the sketch was derived in to. The deleted points remain.

Dave

Message 9 of 9
Yijiang.Cai
in reply to: D.Ponka

It is really interesting that this is not reproducible for me. So could you attach the dataset or send it to me @ river-yijiang.cai@autodesk.com?
Thanks,
River Cai

Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report