Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change material/colour properties within ipart table....

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
1539 Views, 11 Replies

Change material/colour properties within ipart table....

Hi

I have an iPart containing around 200 variants. I would like to change the material/colour properties of each of the parts individually. Could somebody please explain how to do this?
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Material and Color are two different properties. You can add them as
columns in the iPart table. Did you check help?
--
Dennis Jeffrey, Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert

Subscribe to the free "The Creative Inventor Magazine now available at:
http://teknigroup.com/CI-Subscribe-Login.asp
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

here you go:
http://www.sdotson.com/freetut/using%20colors%20and%20materials%20in%20iparts.pdf
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

Of course I tried the help. Wasted two hours sifting through the endless information. Never seem to get a direct hit when searching for a subject.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Excellent. Thank you very much.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Apologies for replying to my own post but I have encountered a niggle with this.

I have added a colour column to my table. This works fine. However, the part has one knurled section, properties for the knurled surface are obviously different to the rest of the part (added new colour to style editor for knurled appearance). Half of the parts are green with a green knurled section and half of the parts are gold but still have a green knurled section because this is not switched within the table.

Can I control the colour of this knurled surface separately to the main part surfaces?
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

what version of Inventor are you using?
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

I am using version 2010.

I have got around this by creating a split on the face that is knurled. I have changed the feature properties for the split to my newly created knurled 'colour', then repeated this for the same knurl in the other colour and then added suppression columns to the table to switch between each colour style depending on the colour of the main part. Apologies if this isn't explained very well!

If there is a more straight forward method of accomplishing the same thing then I would appreciate advice on the subject.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

if using 2011 you would have iLogic, or 2010 you might have downloaded it.
I think you'd be able to control this with iLogic.
Other than that, the approach you described is probably the only way to go.
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

We are switching to 2011 next week. I will have a look at iLogic then. Thanks.
Message 11 of 12
MjDeck

I'm pretty sure you can't change feature colors in iPart members using iLogic. You can't put rules in iPart factories. Also, iLogic can't access individual features in the iPart member.

Mike Deck
Autodesk Edited by: MjDeck on Apr 15, 2010 9:40 PM

Mike Deck
Software Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks Mike.

Sounds like it's pretty much not worth wasting my time trying the iLogic gadget then? Can anyone confirm for certain please?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report