Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Edge colour in isometric views

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
pkee
1554 Views, 6 Replies

Change Edge colour in isometric views

Good Morning,

I have a problem with my drawing template and I cannot find the solution for it.

When I bring a black anodised part into a drawing, say a cube, with the ‘shaded’ option switch on, if it’s an isometric view I cannot see the edges of the part because the edge lines are also black. I would like the edges of all my parts to be grey instead of black, for isometric views in my drawings. Can you help with this?

I have attached two images. Image one is of the cube in the 3D modelling view. Note the grey edges.

Image two is of that same cube in the drawing file with an isometric view. The isometric view has its edges set to black which is quite useless in this scenario.

Any idea's how to change the colour of these edges so that they are visible?

Thanks

Philip Kee

R&D Engineer

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mcgyvr
in reply to: pkee

Obviously you saw this as you posted in the thread..

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Shaded-with-Edges-dwg-Inventor-2013/td-p/3812757

I guess you have the edge color solution now and just need to find out why you can't seem to get your templates to save properly with Vault..

I don't use Vault so I'm of no help.. but just posted in this thread to include the link to the solution for your edge color (colour) problem. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 7
derek.gasch

I think it should be as easy as changing the color of the "Visible" layer, or changing the assocaited layer of the edges in that view.  If you don't want all visible lines to change color, then you can window the edges of the anodized component and change them to a new layer.  Of course this works great for the sample box, but a complicated component may be harder to select if in an assembly with other non-anodized components.

Message 4 of 7
pkee
in reply to: derek.gasch

Yes I thought it was as easy as just changing that visible layer but no.

As I mentioned, I 'OPENED' the template (as in I did not click 'NEW') and I then changed the layer in there. I quickly pulled a part in to check if that worked, which it did, so I then removed the part, and saved the template. Job done - I thought!

I proceeded to click NEW, then started with that template, pulled in the same part, and the edges were back to black. If I go into the styles at that point I notice that the visible layer is black and not the grey that I made it seconds before.

I also noticed in the styles editor up the top that they are set to 'read only'. I went through the correct process in my design project and changed that to 'read-write' and did all of the above again but to no avail.

10 bucks to whoever can solve the problem!

Philip Kee
R&D Engineer
Bentham Instruments Ltd.

01189 168460
www.bentham.co.uk

Tel:+44(0) 118 975 1355 Fax: +44(0) 118 931 2971
Email: info@bentham.co.uk Web: www.bentham.co.uk

This email is confidential and intended solely for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed.
Please note that any opinions contained in this email are solely those of the sender and do not necessarily represent those of Bentham.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or disseminate the information, or take any action in reliance of it.

WARNING : Although the company has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email,
the company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments."
Message 5 of 7
pkee
in reply to: derek.gasch

Yes I thought it was as easy as just changing that visible layer but no.

As I mentioned, I ‘OPENED’ the template (as in I did not click ‘NEW’) and I then changed the layer in there. I quickly pulled a part in to check if that worked, which it did, so I then removed the part, and saved the template. Job done - I thought!

I proceeded to click NEW, then started with that template, pulled in the same part, and the edges were back to black. If I go into the styles at that point I notice that the visible layer is black and not the grey that I made it seconds before.

I also noticed in the styles editor up the top that they are set to ‘read only’. I went through the correct process in my design project and changed that to ‘read-write’ and did all of the above again but to no avail.

10 bucks to whoever can solve the problem!

Message 6 of 7
mcgyvr

Open your idw template again.. edit the layer like you did then... I think this is what you are missing.

You need to right mouse click over the layer in the left hand column of the style/standard editor and select .save to style library.

You simply overrode the style in the template but didn't force that override back into your style library..

you can also hit the "save" button in the style and standards section on the manage tab..

That accomplishes the same thing as the right click on that specific layer but it forces Inventor to look at ALL the changes and not just that specific one..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 7
derek.gasch

Sorry I didn't realize this was a continuation of a different thread, but as mcgyvr is pointing out, saving the style to the library should do it.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report