Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Appearance of multiple parts simultaneously

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Joe_Banger
2965 Views, 11 Replies

Change Appearance of multiple parts simultaneously

Hi,

I have an assembly with multiple parts.

I wish to change the colour (how they're displayed) of a few of them.

When i right click on the part, i can select iProperties>Occurrence>Appearance

When i control + select multiple items, then right click, the Appearance tab is greyed out.

Not a huge problem at the moment, but in future, I may wish to make 30 + different parts a different colour and would like to do it in one step.

Any help is appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
blair
in reply to: Joe_Banger

If you edit the parts at the part level to change the color, it will show up in all other instances of were the part is used. If you change it within the context of a assemble, it will only change color in that assembly. If you open the part by it's self it will still be the original color.

You could window select the item within an IAm and change the color for all selected items.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 12
cbenner
in reply to: blair

In addition to what Blair said, depending on what version of Inventor you have, you could also select individual parts (hold down the ctrl key to multi select) from the browser, and change appearance using the Appearance button. (available in 2013 and 14).

app.JPG

But as mentioned, this will only change the color in the assembly.  The part file will still open with it's original color.

Message 4 of 12
Cadmanto

Joe,

You can also select the part in your assembly and change the apearance here.

color.JPG

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! :smileyvery-

happy:

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 12
pachubby

Boom! - I've just cracked this one. Anything is possible with Inventor.

And yes you can change the colour of multiple parts from an assembly, and so that the appearance of the part is changed at the part level.

Two caveats: doesn't update the thumbnail image of the part file (many things don't do this), and I haven't tried this when an assembly contains sub-assemblies

1. Open the assembly

2. Open an instance of one of the parts in that assembly (preferably the first part, this becomes obvious at Step 6 below)

3. Edit the appearance of this part to the colour you want (either from iProperties>Occurrence>Appearance, or the drop-down menu in the Quick Access Toolbar)

4. Go back to the assembly and open the Bill of Materials editor (Manage tab on the ribbon)

5. Use the Choose Columns button to add the Appearance column to the Model Data sheet

6. As per the attached screenshot, the part in the first row on the Model Data sheet should have appearance previously chosen (in my case Red)

7. Select this cell, hoover the mouse pointer in the bottom right corner of the cell, the pointer will change to a 4-way-arrow, click and drag down

8. Exit the Bill of Materials editor, and... voilà!

I hope that helps!

(Btw I'm using Autodesk Inventor 2014)

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2019 64-Bit Edition
Build: 330, Release: 2019.4
Windows 10 Pro, Intel i5-6300HQ, 16GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro M1000M
Message 6 of 12
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: pachubby

Also, if you open the appearance browser before selecting anything; then window select is enabled, (works for parts in assemblies, or faces in parts); you can window select what you want, then right click on an appearance & use Assign to Selection.

Thanks

Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 12
israel.saba

Saved the day, I had like 50 parts to change, worked like a charm.

Message 8 of 12
paf_redstars

Hello, thanks for the STEPs to change color of multi parts in assembly but can you please help me as I also need to change color of 100+ parts but they are independent parts, not in assembly, like need to change color of 100+ parts files.

Message 9 of 12
johnsonshiue
in reply to: paf_redstars

Hi! You could follow the same workflow by dropping these parts to an assembly. You might need to use Clear command (next to the Appearance Browser icon on Quick Access Toolbar) to clear out existing appearance overrides first. Then you can apply appearance to each part individually or as a group.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 12
Jambooreee
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi!

How about littlebit harder problem. Now if I have some colour saved in appearance library and I littlebit want fix that colour (like I want that my red is little bit brighter). If I understand right that inventor get copy that appearance from appearance library and use that in document. And if I fix that colour in library that fix is not working any documents where I'm use that colour from library. And that programm use documents appearances and this appearances are copied in appearance library at time when you are set that appearance first time. Now we have situation that document appearance have same name than library appearance and if you select again that same name appearance programm look that "ok, I have that appearance in Document appearances" and programm now do not update that colour in document appearances (excampe littlebit fixed RGB values).

Juho Linna

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2020 64-Bit Edition
Windows 10 Pro, Intel i9-10900X, 64GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro RTX4000
Message 11 of 12
SBix26
in reply to: Jambooreee

In the Manage tab, Styles and Standards panel, use the Update Styles tool.  Even though Appearances are not part of the Styles library, the Save, Update, and Purge Styles tools work with appearances and materials, too.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2021.2.1 | Windows 10 Home 2004
LinkedIn

Message 12 of 12
Jambooreee
in reply to: SBix26

Thanks! That works. I'm use inventor only some months, so that is teaching to me so much every day.

-Juho

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report