Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Center line on an open ended slot

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
caddman11
1774 Views, 8 Replies

Center line on an open ended slot

Trying to figure out how to put a center line on an open ended slot.  Say in the front view you can see the radius of the slot with horizontal tangents running to the end of the object; this isn't the problem.  When creating the top view, you only see one hidden line indicating the arch, but the other side is just open to the end.  You have no means of finding bisectors.  I can't find any info on this anywhere, help!

I've added a jpg file, looking for the center line in the top view.  Thanks

Tags (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
blair
in reply to: caddman11

The IDW by it's self is useless, it requires the related files that are in the drawing. Can you just use the Snipping Tool supplied in Window and do a capture of the screen.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 9
caddman11
in reply to: blair

added a jpg file, thanks

Message 4 of 9

Hi

You can use the Centerline Bisector tool for this. Go to the Annotate tab > Symbols panel > and click the  Centerline Bisector button as shown here:

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 9
blair

No need for one at that spot. It's a notch not a hole/slot that has both ends.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 9

I've seen this, I don't have the other side of the arch in to top view to use the bisect command.  ---I'm trying to get the vertical centerline that would show the center of the circular end of the slot in the top view.

Message 7 of 9
CCarreiras

Hi!

You can do a sketch in the view and draw a line ... dashed style.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 8 of 9

Hi caddman11,

I think I understand now.

I suppose if I were to do this, I would place a work axis in the part file (at the center of the slot end) and then I would Inlcude the work feature, so that it comes in as a center line:

http://help.autodesk.com/cloudhelp/2014/ENU/Inventor/files/GUID-7D0E804C-5F09-46CF-A3AD-D8CE3B6DFE8D...

Autodesk Inventor Include Work Feature.png

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 9 of 9

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much---I learned that the center line in the top view is always needed.

Really appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report