Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot import DWG into Inventor

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
ciancarroll
7822 Views, 19 Replies

Cannot import DWG into Inventor

Hi,

I have a complex autocad produced 3d dwg file that contain about 20 layers has a lot of small parts and is around 20mb. I can view the file and all is fine in dwg trueview, however when i try to import it to inventor the process takes up over 2gb of ram and never completes I have left it for several hours without completion. To be clear about what i have done, i import the dwg, the option of excluding layers does not appear, but on the final import page i select 3d solids and new part-wires to 3d or 3d sketch (any other option results in inventor crashing...). I am really stuck with this, as redrawing in inventor will be very time consuming. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tags (1)
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Ray_Feiler
in reply to: ciancarroll

Have you tried to export the 3D solids out of AutoCAD as a STEP file then import the STEP into Inventor?

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 3 of 20
Cadmanto

Would exporting it out of ACAD in a dxf format then importing the dxf file into INventor be an option?

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 20
ciancarroll
in reply to: Cadmanto

Thanks for the replies, I managed to export it in .sat format and that works fine when I import it into Inventor. After doing that I want to work out the internal void space in the container and produce this as a part, I have applied boundary patches to the openings and then tried to sculpt them to give the shape. However, the boundaries seem to have become disconnected and the sculpt fails. For instance a closed circle in autocad once exported to inventor gives a curve composed of three arcs, I select all the arcs to create a patch and it shows the correct preview but then fails to create the boundary. Is there a way of grouping the items so that contacting bodies become a single body in Inventor? Or any other suggestions as to how to calculate the void space?

Message 5 of 20
Cadmanto

Another method you might want to try if you haven't already  (and I have done this many times)

is to have the ACAD drawing open then window the sketch and do a ctrl -C and ctrl-P into an Inventor sketch.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 6 of 20
JDMather

I would not use AutoCAD 2D to create the patches in Inventor - not needed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 20
true

Product Design Suite 2012 win 7 64 bit

Cannot import 3d objects from autocad mechanical. Always fails to load drawing 

in previous versions of inventor it would give me dialog boxes to select which object to import and setting, here it fails before these dialog. I can however open just not import and that doesn't help when wanting to create a flat pattern in sheet metal environment.

Message 8 of 20
true

Additional info: on a win7 pro 32bit after installing trueview 2013 so to select which objects to import (trueview 2012 was not previously installed and doesn't seem to be available anymore, though prior versions are) I was able to import 3d objects and change environment to sheet metal to make a flat pattern. But this doe not help me with the win 7 pro 64bit product design suite premium.

Message 9 of 20
true

Problem has finally been decoded.... Its the **** Windows 7 UAC ..... The fix is to shut the UAC off and even though this opens it up for any program to infect my system Mikcrosoft must think its an all programs can do this or non can. No exceptions for selected programs.

Now that I have identified the culprit how about a solution from Autodesk to allow me to not have the UAC off but still be able to import dwgs into inventor?

Message 10 of 20
alynch2587
in reply to: true

I'm having a similar import DWG problem.  

I'm using Autodesk Inventor 2014 SP1 

In the import DWG process , I get an error stating that "Mechanical Desktop 6 or newer is required. " 

I click OK to the error and then Inventor freezes. 

I will go back to AutoCAD and try to export to SAT format to see if I can get a work around.  

Message 11 of 20
alynch2587
in reply to: alynch2587

I found a solution, opening the file in Autodesk Inventor Fusion and then saving in SAT format.  

I now have a method for DWG --> SAT ---> IPT conversion process.   

Maybe one day,  Inventor could import the DWG without opening Fusion separately.  

Message 12 of 20
huybtvn

I have the same issue to import DWG file in Inventor. When I copy the sketch from autocad and Control - P in Inventor, it came out print command. I then tried Control -V, nothing moved. Please help to solve the issue. I have Window 8.1 and Inventor 2014. Thanks

Message 13 of 20
JDMather
in reply to: huybtvn

@huybtvn wrote:

.... When I copy the sketch from autocad

When I read this thread - there is a lot of confusion about different file formats.

It sounds like you are trying to import AutoCAD 2D through copy and paste.

Do you have the geometry on the clipboard?

Are you in an active sketch?

Can you attach your dwg file here?

With your actual file someone can show 3 different techniques, step-by-step.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 14 of 20
huybtvn

I tried impport .dwg 2d into skecth .ipt and it failed. Attached please review the .dwg file . Thanks for help

Message 15 of 20
huybtvn

I tried impport .dwg 2d into skecth .ipt and it failed. Attached please review the .dwg file . Thanks for help

Message 16 of 20
JDMather

I was able to Import without difficulty.

But on geometry this simple - I would probably just recreate it from scratch in Inventor as there is a lot of duplication.

If I were to use the AutoCAD geometry - I would first center around 0,0,0 or convert to a Sketch Block in Inventor.

Import AutoCAD.png

EESignature

Message 17 of 20
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

2nd method - I was able to Insert the AutoCAD (dwg should not be open in AutoCAD when using Import or Insert).

Insert AutoCAD.PNG

EESignature

Message 18 of 20
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

3rd method

I was able to Ctrl c and Ctrl v to copy and paste from AutoCAD to Inventor.

Did you install Inventor with UAC and anti-virus disabled?

Have you installed the Service Pack(s)?

Do you have Autodesk Design Review installed?

EESignature

Message 19 of 20
madhu.ps

Dear Sir,

Please go through the below link it might help. And if You using inventor 2014 in windows 8 or 8.1 operating system it will definetly reslove with this link.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticl...

Regards,

Madhu P S

Message 20 of 20
ampster401
in reply to: alynch2587

ugh, I didn't catch the 2nd page of this thread .

Move along, nothing to see here.  Sorry for the interuption.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report