Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot export face completely

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
lpbug
1583 Views, 20 Replies

Cannot export face completely

I made a part using the extrude function and cut some texts into the part by extrude (tried emboss) as well. However, when I select the face to export, letters that have area inside, such as "A", "O", etc don't like right because the face selection only selects everything outside the bounds of the letter- so the triangle island part in the "A" and the circular island part bounded by the "O" cannot be selected. This presents a problem for me as I'm trying to use a CNC to cut these letters out with a dxf file to feed my CAM program. Any help please?

Thanks!

Tags (3)
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
jletcher
in reply to: lpbug

Why are you exporting the face for cnc? We use a step or dxf no need to export just the face.

Unless I am missing something.. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 21
mrattray

If this is a sheet metal part then you can right click on the flat pattern and select the "Save as" option. This will export the geometery out in dxf fprmat all nicely layered out for your CNC software. If it's not sheetmetal then you'll have to make a quick 2D drawing with a view fo what you're trying to cut and do a save copy as of the dawing to dxf. This will give you everything including the titleblock all on one ugly layer, but you can clean it up in AutoCAD before sending it to you CNC software.

A picture or the .ipt file, would be helpful to us understanding what it is you are doing.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 21
lpbug

I've attached a picture depicting my situation- the yellow highlighted area is the area i sketched out- those are the sections that are not cut (same height as the face, so they are "islands" that I referred to in my last post). I want those areas to be selected as well along with the face. Right now the areas inside the bounded lines of the letters are not being selected even though they are at the same level as the face and they are not cut.

Message 5 of 21
lpbug

Here's a 3d view of the problem- as you can see, the face is selected but not the isolated part (highlighted in yellow) even though I want it to be part of the face.

Message 6 of 21
lpbug

Help please, anyone?

Message 7 of 21
mrattray

I'm not familiar with export face, but I imagine the problem is that those are not a part of the same face.

What format is your CAM software expecting?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 8 of 21
jletcher

Can you answer the question we ask?

Why are you doing it this way why are you just exporting the face when you can export the whole thing and get to the same place you want to go?

We are helping but we also need to understand why you are doing things so if there is a better and easier way we can tell you..

Message 9 of 21
lpbug

I'm exporting it this way because my CAM software "CamBam" takes .dxf files. I don't understand why they aren't the same face since the cut extrude by the letter did not cut within the bounded areas of the letters.

Message 10 of 21
mrattray

It's not one face because it's not contiguous. Those are three seperate, but coplanar faces. Try my suggestion a few posts up. That's the method I use for programming our laser, it works great.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 11 of 21
jletcher
in reply to: mrattray

I agree with mrttray you are going the long way around to do something that is quick and painless..

Make an IDW save copy as dxf..

There you have it ..

It is just that simple.....

Message 12 of 21
lpbug

Thanks, I think at this point I would try to convert it into sheet metal or use a sheet metal template. I considered sktching a new 2d picture but do not know how to take copy all the outlines of the text onto a sketch as lines/polylines- any suggestsions for that option?

Message 13 of 21
mrattray

I don't understand where it is that you are finding difficulty here. You don't need to do any of that.

1) Create new idw file.

2) Create view of part showing contours that need to be cut.

3) Save copy as, select file type: AutoCAD dwg.

4) Open new dwg, delete unneccesary data, save.

5) Go to your CNC software and have at it.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 14 of 21
blair

If you cut this profile you would loose the center of the A and O, you would need to add tabs to secure the center of the characters from falling out, much like the using the font "stencil".

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 15 of 21
jletcher
in reply to: blair

No he is not cutting he is milling so he don't need tags Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 21
blair
in reply to: jletcher

OK, missed that part.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 17 of 21
johnsonshiue

Hi! Here is an alternative workflow you might want to consider. Instead of using Export Face As, you might want to project the face to a sketch and then use Export Sketch As to export the sketch as DXF. Here is what you need to do.

1. Create a sketch on the front face of flat pattern.

2. Project -> Project Cut Edges -> Finish Sketch. All the profiles will be projected to the sketch.

3. Right-click on the sketch -> Export Sketch As.

Please let me know if it works for you.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 18 of 21
lpbug

Thank you for all your input. Mike, I am relatively new to Inventor- sorry if I find this hard! But for your step 2- can you explain on what you mean by this? I would like to learn.

Also, thank you for your tip Johnson, I will also try that.

Message 19 of 21
mrattray

I just meant place a Base View of the part, making sure that the lines you want programed into your CAM software are visibile in the view's orientation. If this still isn't clear than I would search Inventor's tuturials for a creating drawings tutorial.

I didn't mean to sound like an ****, but this is a very basic process.

Have you had any CAD training? This should have been covered by even the most basic of taining or classes.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 20 of 21
lpbug

Well, I am a highschool student and being that- I don'thave a lot of resources at my disposal to participate in CAD classes ($$$). I have tried to learn on my own with a some success thanks to everyone here and text online. So I do apologize again for my questions- which may seem ridiculously elementary to you Inventor gurus.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report