Inventor General Discussion

Contributor
lpbug
Message 1 of 21 (341 Views)
Accepted Solution

Cannot export face completely

341 Views, 20 Replies
09-10-2012 11:18 PM

I made a part using the extrude function and cut some texts into the part by extrude (tried emboss) as well. However, when I select the face to export, letters that have area inside, such as "A", "O", etc don't like right because the face selection only selects everything outside the bounds of the letter- so the triangle island part in the "A" and the circular island part bounded by the "O" cannot be selected. This presents a problem for me as I'm trying to use a CNC to cut these letters out with a dxf file to feed my CAM program. Any help please?

Thanks!

*Pro
jletcher
Message 2 of 21 (329 Views)

Re: Cannot export face completely

09-11-2012 05:19 AM in reply to: lpbug

Why are you exporting the face for cnc? We use a step or dxf no need to export just the face.

Unless I am missing something.. :smileyhappy:

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

James Letcher
2012 Factory Design Suite ( will not load 2013)
What happen to my Inventor :-(
*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 3 of 21 (326 Views)

09-11-2012 05:26 AM in reply to: lpbug

If this is a sheet metal part then you can right click on the flat pattern and select the "Save as" option. This will export the geometery out in dxf fprmat all nicely layered out for your CNC software. If it's not sheetmetal then you'll have to make a quick 2D drawing with a view fo what you're trying to cut and do a save copy as of the dawing to dxf. This will give you everything including the titleblock all on one ugly layer, but you can clean it up in AutoCAD before sending it to you CNC software.

A picture or the .ipt file, would be helpful to us understanding what it is you are doing.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Contributor
lpbug
Message 4 of 21 (313 Views)

09-11-2012 02:39 PM in reply to: lpbug

I've attached a picture depicting my situation- the yellow highlighted area is the area i sketched out- those are the sections that are not cut (same height as the face, so they are "islands" that I referred to in my last post). I want those areas to be selected as well along with the face. Right now the areas inside the bounded lines of the letters are not being selected even though they are at the same level as the face and they are not cut.

Contributor
lpbug
Message 5 of 21 (312 Views)

09-11-2012 02:41 PM in reply to: lpbug

Here's a 3d view of the problem- as you can see, the face is selected but not the isolated part (highlighted in yellow) even though I want it to be part of the face.

Contributor
lpbug
Message 6 of 21 (292 Views)

09-11-2012 07:57 PM in reply to: lpbug

Help please, anyone?

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 7 of 21 (277 Views)

09-12-2012 04:27 AM in reply to: lpbug

I'm not familiar with export face, but I imagine the problem is that those are not a part of the same face.

What format is your CAM software expecting?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

*Pro
jletcher
Message 8 of 21 (274 Views)

09-12-2012 04:36 AM in reply to: lpbug

Can you answer the question we ask?

Why are you doing it this way why are you just exporting the face when you can export the whole thing and get to the same place you want to go?

We are helping but we also need to understand why you are doing things so if there is a better and easier way we can tell you..

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

James Letcher
2012 Factory Design Suite ( will not load 2013)
What happen to my Inventor :-(
Contributor
lpbug
Message 9 of 21 (259 Views)

09-12-2012 10:00 AM in reply to: lpbug

I'm exporting it this way because my CAM software "CamBam" takes .dxf files. I don't understand why they aren't the same face since the cut extrude by the letter did not cut within the bounded areas of the letters.

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 10 of 21 (254 Views)

09-12-2012 10:11 AM in reply to: lpbug

It's not one face because it's not contiguous. Those are three seperate, but coplanar faces. Try my suggestion a few posts up. That's the method I use for programming our laser, it works great.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube