Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot dimension from part sketch in drawing file

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Jacques.Grobler
279 Views, 3 Replies

Cannot dimension from part sketch in drawing file

Hi all

I am using a basis sketch in a part to control a couple of extrude features based on results from Excel and iLogic

I have been able to include the sketch in the drawing in a couple of places, one being as in the attached picture, showing in green (the result of excel and iLogic on the right...)

2014.07.22_14h00.jpg

I am trying to dimension from the basis (green), I can select it, but I cannot dimension from it

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Bumping up
Message 3 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Jacques.Grobler

You are far more likely to get a response if you post a samlpe data set.

If you cannot attach the actual files - make up simple dummy files that exhibit the same behavior.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 4
Jacques.Grobler
in reply to: JDMather

Ok, I found the problem, and also the work around, but Autodesk might want to look into this because in my opinion, this should not be a problem...

I have a break in the view that I want to dimension. Normal dimensioning from the part itself works fine, and dimensioning from part planes also work fine, but not from the part sketch as I need to.

So in a way, tx JD, you helped me stumble onto the cause...

I was busy getting a pack-and-go set ready, deleting all the background stuff that is not needed so that I can post it here, and in the process I shortened my part and I thought let me just check if I can now dimension (Murphy has caught me many times like this...), and boom, I could dimension...

I have attached the files so you can have a look at it. I had to remove 003 due to size constraints but it should not affect what I am trying to point out

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report