Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot create sculpt

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1713 Views, 5 Replies

Cannot create sculpt

I'm trying to fill in the area enclosed in the surfaces and planes shown in the picture to add material to the bottom of part while keeping the curvature of the outsides faces the same. From what I can tell the volume is entirely enclosed in the surfaces shown, but I keep getting the error message "The attempted operation has no effect on the part, Try with different inputs." 

Any insight? 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Your images do not show what is selected in the browser.

Your images do not show the direction arrows.

Here is an idea - attach your *.ipt file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 6
johnsonshiue

Indeed, like JD already mentioned, the images do not give any clue what could have happened. It is possible one of the participating surface is incomplete (not covering the volume). Or, there is a bad body. Or, Inventor is having problem joining the Sculpt to the main body. Did you try using "New Body" option? Does it work?

Could you attach the file here or send it to me directly (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Here's the .ipt

I'm relatively new to inventor so the design tree is a bit cluttered, best of luck!

Message 5 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! There are a few places on the model I would do differently. Based on the design intent I captured, I think you are looking for a way to offset the top split faces (the ones with the ribs), right? If yes, couldn't you simply use Thicken feature to push the faces out, instead of using Sculpt?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Ah yes, this worked much better. I had tried using the thicken feature, but it extended each face individually and left gaps in the new solid. I had to first combine the surfaces with the patch function and then the thicken feature worked perfectly. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report