Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot change work feature visibility while editing sketch

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
490 Views, 8 Replies

Cannot change work feature visibility while editing sketch

In am able to change origin feature visibility while editing a sketch, but not work features.

Is this expected behaviour?

Can someone confirm?

Inventor 2015
Dell Precision T3600
Windows 7 64-bit
16GB RAM
NVidia Quadro K2000
Driver 340.52

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
petestrycharske
in reply to: Anonymous

John,

I have created a simple test part, added a work axis and then created a new sketch.  When in this sketch, I can turn the visibility of the work axis on and off.  After exiting the sketch and then editing it, I can still modify the visibility of the work axis.  Is this what you cannot do?  Not sure if this is the confirmation that you are looking for, but I hope this this helps!  Have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 3 of 9
dan_inv09

Is it in a part or an assembly? (Or editing a part from within an assembly?)

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: dan_inv09

Editing a part. In sketch mode I can right click a work feature in the browser and check visibility, The icon in the browser is highlighted, but the feature is not shown in the graphics window. Work features that are visible prior to editing sketch cannot be turned off either, right click and check visibility has no effect. Appears to work normally with the Origin features, but not work features.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: petestrycharske

Try with this file and see if you see the same result. I created a simple example, and that worked as expected.
Message 6 of 9
petestrycharske

John,

I opened up your example part and can edit the visibility of work features from within a new sketch.  Here are some screen shots below.  You might have to do a repair install or make sure you have all the service packs applied.  Guess I would check the service packs first.  Is this happening to other users at your company?  Reason I ask, is I just came across a corrupt Windows profile this morning and that can lead to some screwy results...

Hope all of this helps and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Select WF in Sketch.png

Can select and Change the Visibility State of the Work Axis

WF Visibility Off.png

Work Axis Visibility is Turned Off

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: petestrycharske

I will check to see if other users here see the same behavior.
Message 8 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! The behavior is indeed confusing. This looks like a bug to me. There seems to be an erroneous logic at play here. The reason why the work feature visibility cannot be set while editing Sketch4 with PDV:View1 actived is due to the following two reasons.

1) The work features are invisible in PDV:Master.

2) Sketch4 has two projected loops traced back to parent features of the work features.

PDV behavior is a bit confusing especially when you are editing or creating a feature (sketch). In a part, the features are history based. As a result, there has to be mechanism guarding against downstream features showing up on editing upstream features. The faulty logic here seems to believe that because the work features and the Sketch4 share some parents, the work features visibility control should be blocked when Sketch4 is edited.

This behavior started from R2012 when PDV was first introduced. So far, we do not have a good solution to change the behavior. I personally think PDV works best when modeling is mostly done to avoid confusion of roll back and history jump.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Not sure I want to accept that as a solution, but at least I know I'm not imagining it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report