Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot change Material for the some parts in the assembly BOM

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Orest_iy
4469 Views, 8 Replies

Cannot change Material for the some parts in the assembly BOM

I wish I can open my general assembly BOM and set the proper Materials to my all my parts after migration from 2012 release.

But I cannot change Material for the some custom part in the assembly BOM in the Parts Only tab. Parts refusing to change a Material have special symbol and I guess it means “promoted assembly” – Help has no info regarding these symbols.

I can change any Material in Structured and Model Data tabs but it is extremely inconvenient for the big assembly.

http://screencast.com/t/xNWQXWXO32CZ

The questions is: Why those promoted assemblies have inaccessible Material in the Parts Only tab?

I have similar subassemblies built in similar way as you can see fro video, but one is treated as promoted assembly and other as promoted part, the question is what possible difference between those is?

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
blair
in reply to: Orest_iy

Just taking a guess, but are the materials that are giving you the problem, custom materials. If you didn't migrate the styles prior to migrating the parts:

http://beinginventive.typepad.com/being-inventive/2011/05/style-library-migration.html

Possibly these items may also reside not in your Work Directory but in a Library. By default all Libraries are read only, you would need to create a new Project File that points to your Library as it's Work Directory.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 9
Orest_iy
in reply to: blair

No, the problem is up to belonging to promoted assembly. It does not matter what kind of material I wish to assign or already have assigned to parts in my assemblies. For instance I can assign the "purely" 2014 material for the part but in assembly BOM I will get it as read only.

Message 4 of 9
blair

Beats me, could be a possible issue with Inventor

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 9
pcrawley
in reply to: blair

All the parts shown in your video with inaccessible materials are Content Center parts.

Unless you place them as "custom" you won't be able to edit them in the BOM editor.

If you need to edit the material, edit the appropriate table in Content Center editor, then refresh the assembly.

Peter
Message 6 of 9
Orest_iy

No, there are regular parts.As you can see I can edit material except in Part tab
Message 7 of 9
pcrawley
in reply to: pcrawley

I take that back.  Not all the parts are CC...

The reason you can't edit the material is because the row (with the frozen material) is row-merged.  You can tell from the little icon on the left (blue/green on red bars).  This means that the item is present in multiple assemblies.  If you turn row-merging off, you should be able to edit the material.

Peter
Message 8 of 9
Orest_iy

If there was row merge it would be clear since several merged part could have different material.In my case row merge is off. If single part is present in several assemblies what is the problem to change material?
Message 9 of 9
Orest_iy

Here is the sequence how it happened.

For example PartA is included in Assembly_A and Assembly_B.

Both Assembly_A and Assembly_B are included in Assembly_C.

Then in the BOM of Assembly_C the PartA will have a read only material under the Parts Only tab. This part has special sign in the Item column of the BOM. The reason of such behaviour is absolutely unclear.

Any iseas why?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report